Looking for a Guarneri center mount chin rest to match this tailpiece

Edited: September 27, 2017, 11:59 PM · https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=VWTPVNHSPEES1

I just had this tailpiece installed and got a rosewood chin rest to try and match the color, but as expected, the rosewood is too brown while the tailpiece is more reddish. I looked at many websites to find a match, but all the boxwoods are usually too light, and rosewoods are too dark\brown. If anyone could point me in the direction of one that's pretty close, I would be very appreciative.

Replies (10)

September 28, 2017, 12:55 AM · It looks like you are willing to pay for premium quality. In this case you could contact Meyer Fittings. Is Harmonie in this case Bois d'harmonie? If yes, they also make chinrests, ask them directly for a fitting one.
September 28, 2017, 1:02 AM · I wasn't necessarily looking to spend as much on the chin rest, but I would as a last resort.
September 28, 2017, 1:12 AM · Was there a noticeable difference in sound with the change to a pernambuco tailpiece?
September 28, 2017, 7:13 AM · Tony from Alexander Accessories can do it for you. I've ordered several chinrest from him. Send him a request and picture and he will get it done.

They got several style of Guarneri chinrest to choose from too.

September 28, 2017, 7:18 AM · I second the recommendation for Alexander Accessories, but I don't believe they work with pernambuco ...

Dov Schmidt sells a relatively affordable pernambuco chinrest, but since pernambuco (and the amount/method that it is stained) vary so greatly, the only way to guarantee a color match would be to buy a Bois d'Harmonie chinrest. Dov's chinrest looks as though it might be lighter than the Harmonie chinrest.

http://dov-music.com/proddetail.asp?prod=8671A

Edited: September 28, 2017, 7:51 AM · The best fittings, IMO, are made by Hansell Violins in England. Expect to pay around $500USD for a Guarnieri chinrest in boxwood. Their work is superb and they will colour match. The feet are exceptionally elegant with very fine silver Hill style brackets which I prefer to the Alexander Accesories feet, which, although well made, are clunky in comparison. The Hansell chinrests are also lighter in weight for similar models as the wood is carved thinner. I have AA chin rests on five of my violins and Hansell fittings on four.
Paying good money for a chinrest is not wasted. How many hours of your life will you have it under your chin? Unless you are a nutter like me, you will only ever have to buy it once, as you can swap it to another violin when you upgrade violins.

Cheers Carlo

September 28, 2017, 8:44 AM · Other addresses:
Otto Tempel and ErgoVio
September 28, 2017, 1:16 PM · Matching Pernambuco color can be a bit of a pain. My pegs and tailpiecce are kinda the same brown-ish tone, but the chinrest is very deep orange/red. I didn't think it would be too noticeable when I was making them but when it was done it was pretty noticeable (to me at least).
And that was matching in person. Doing it over the internet with stock photos and varying monitors and all that that could be a bit of a lost cause, so I think buying from the same maker might be your best bet.
Edited: September 28, 2017, 1:51 PM · If Hansell in England sells a chinrest for $500 USD, their work had just better be superb. And Christopher, have you experimented with other chinrest designs. The Guarneri design has been all but ubiquitous for so many years now that players just take it for granted as "the" chinrest. I'm always surprised by how many players I see using Guarneri rests that put their chin halfway off of it over the tailpiece. Why they don't just get a chinrest that's positioned where they put their chin, like a Teka or Flesch, is the ineffable mystery. Guarneri rests seem to be becoming less popular in recent years. (I'm just sayin, before you spend your $500 USD.) ;)
September 28, 2017, 3:19 PM · I think I'll give Alexander accessories a try. They look close enough for me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music