Fingerboard height and bridge height

September 25, 2017, 12:49 PM · Hi all,
I'm a beginner and I have an issue with my violin.
I realized that the fungerboard is low and due to bridge height it requires high pressure on the strings to get the notes.
I made a research and found that the height of the string at the end of th fingerboard is what matters, so I adjusted the bridge height to get the G string height to 5.5 mm and the E string hight to 3.3 and that make it easy to get the notes.
The problem is the G string is vibrating more than before and the sound on all strings is more scratchy.
So how can I fix my violin?
Regards.

Replies (11)

September 25, 2017, 8:04 PM · Take it to a luthier and get a new bridge cut. Violin adjustments of the kind you are doing are not what beginners should be even contemplating. Did you replace the bridge in exactly the same place? Is the curve correct? String spacing right? Did you lubricate the grooves? Do yourself a favour and leave it to the experts.

Cheers Carlo

September 25, 2017, 9:16 PM · There are too many things to go over in a post that's for sure. Check everything from how you wound the strings on the pegs to how the strings come out of the tailpiece. Is the bridge set at a 45. Is the sound scratchy or are you hearing ring tones. Did you double check the width of the top edge of the bridge with an adequate taper after you lowered the height. Often times the lower end violins come with a small tube over the E string to protect the bridge from the string cutting into it- if you have one is the tube in place. I agree with Carlo, find a luthier.
September 26, 2017, 6:11 AM · Hi Ahmed,

The scratch you hear might not necessarily be a bad thing especially as you come up the G string. I almost always practice with ear plugs in and when I play without them my ears are super sensitive to the scratch but people a short distance away should not notice it.

I think you should find someone competent to check out the setup on your violin. Just because someone works at a bench in the back room of a music store does not necessarily mean they are knowledgeable on what corrective action your bridge and fingeboard need, if any.

September 26, 2017, 6:43 AM · How did you adjust the bridge height?
September 26, 2017, 6:53 AM · The height of the strings in the lowest positions is also controlled by the grooves in the nut at the edge of the pegbox. String height above the fingerboard in that region should be about the width of a business card - roughly the thickness of 32 - 50 weight paper/card stock (I think - but it might be a bit thicker - don't trust me on these numbers).
September 26, 2017, 9:22 AM · nut height above fingerboard = 1.5mm at edge by the G and 1mm at the edge by the E - string height 1/2mm from fingerboard, "Violin Repair Guide", by Michael Atria.

or

nut height above fingerboard = 1mm edge by G, .75mm edge by E-- no string height from fingerboard given, "The Art of Violin Making", Johnson & Courtnall

or

nut height above fingerboard = .8mm edge by G, .6mm edge by E-- no string height from fingerboard given, "Violin Restoration, A Manual For Violin Makers", Weisshaar and Shipman

September 26, 2017, 9:33 AM · Weisshaar says strings above fingerboard at nut by the thickness of a business card paper, I believe.
September 26, 2017, 9:39 AM · that's about 1/2mm
September 26, 2017, 10:37 AM · Everyone is addressing the string height above the fingerboard, but none are saying anything about the fingerboard projection. Our op said that his fingerboard is low, which likely means the neck has sagged. If so, shortening the bridge is not the way to a fully functional violin.
Edited: September 26, 2017, 10:42 AM · Given that a neck reset would probably cost significantly more than the cost of the OPs violin, I don't think that really is an issue that anything can be done about.

Actually I think the thickness of a business card would be closer to .25-.33mm

September 26, 2017, 11:16 AM · Given the little information and no image of the violin or history of, make it kind of hard to troubleshoot through text. Something that should be done with a luthier and in person anyway. Heck, being a beginner it could be he just isn't bowing at the right speed for the weight he is applying to the bow. He didn't say how "beginner" he is either. As I said before, there is way too much involved to analyse in a post.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance