What are some good showpieces?

September 24, 2017, 8:01 PM · What are some good showpieces around the Mendelssohn E minor Concerto level? Just wondering. Thanks!

Replies (11)

September 24, 2017, 9:07 PM · A good chunk of what Wieniawski and Sarasate wrote. Some Ysaye. That should keep you busy fro a while. :-)
September 24, 2017, 9:24 PM · Perhaps some of Kreisler's stuff, perhaps Danse Espagnole from La Vida Breve (please correct my spelling if I'm wrong).
September 24, 2017, 10:15 PM · Kreisler, Sarasate, and Wienaski cover pretty much the bulk of show pieces. There might be some Ysaye or Paganini pieces that are somewhat obscure.
Edited: September 25, 2017, 12:32 PM · I just played tambourine chinoise by Kreisler, very entertaining
September 25, 2017, 5:21 AM · Oistrakh made a recording of the Tchaikovsky showpieces (Melancholic Serenade, etc.). I find they have more musical substance than Kreisler or Sarasate.
Edited: September 25, 2017, 1:28 PM · Danse Espagnole has always been one of my favorites as well. I also like Caprice Basque and Zapateado.

There are so many great showpieces.

September 25, 2017, 12:23 PM · What about other obscure showpieces for violin? I have to admit that Sarasate and Kreisler wrote some really nice pieces.
September 25, 2017, 4:03 PM · I think I would play something of Fritz. At least, that's what I've been working on while doing Medndelsson
September 25, 2017, 5:13 PM · If you are looking for something different from Kreisler or Sarasate, I would recommend Brahms' Hungarian Dances #1, #2, or #5. If you are looking for something you can pick up quickly, Monti's Csardas is a crowd pleaser. However, ultimately it really depends on your particular needs and circumstances.
September 25, 2017, 7:06 PM · I'm with Paul, the Tchaikovsky pieces (Serenade Melancholique/Souvenir D'un Lieu Cher/Valse Scherzo) are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.
September 25, 2017, 7:54 PM · On the easier side of the spectrum, if you’re looking for light filler pieces, there’s de Beriot Scene de Ballet, Wieniawski Mazurka, and Bartok Roumanian Folk Dances. I played RFD as a closing piece for my recent recital and everyone was amazed at how difficult it sounded!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance