Can Someone Order These Violin Pieces?

September 23, 2017, 4:32 PM · Bruch No. 1, Phillip Glass No. 1, Accolay A Minor, Bach E Major, Mendelssohn E Minor, Sibelius D Minor, Meditation From Thais, and Mozart G Major.

Thank you so much!

Replies (8)

Edited: September 23, 2017, 5:49 PM · Ordering in levels is very personal and something I generally have trouble doing. With my knowledge of these pieces, I can order some of them, but not all. From least difficult to most,

1. Bach E Major (still quite challenging, Bach was a master of interval training as he was a teacher
2.Mozart G Major
3.Accolay A Minor
4. Bruch No. 1 (similarly placed with Accolay but higher because of the tricky 3rd movement) 5. Mendelssohn E Minor
6. Sibelius D Minor

September 23, 2017, 6:01 PM · Playing Mozart well is as tricky as any of the harder ones. Of course, playing those well instead of just hacking through them is also tricky=)
September 23, 2017, 6:11 PM · Accolay seems completely out of its league.
Edited: September 23, 2017, 7:06 PM · Mozart G Major is harder than Accolay but that's partly because the standard interpretation of the Accolay is to make it sound as trite and cheesy as possible, which is much easier to acheive than the grace and elegance that Mozart demands. Also I think there is a general expectation that the Accolay will be played half the notes out of tune.
September 23, 2017, 7:34 PM · I ordered them on the difficulty they would pose to my techniques and style. I would change it around completely if I played differently. They are in two big clumps to me, the advanced and the professional. I would only put them into those two. Once you start to attempt to play them well, as such with Mozart, they all change.
September 23, 2017, 7:50 PM · -Accolay A Minor (one of the first non-concertinos most students play, next to Seitz and Reiding),
-Meditation from Thais (nothing too complicated here besides some tonal things),
-Bach E Major (when I learned this, I found it a great deal more difficult than both the Accolay and the Meditation),
-Bruch G Minor (first major concerto most students play, if not this then it's Lalo/Mendelssohn/Saint-Saens),
-Mendelssohn E Minor (among the first major concerti students play, flashy but not horribly difficult),
-Sibelius D Minor (extremely difficult technical stuff: an abundance of tenths, octaves, and ridiculous runs but isn't nearly as exposed as the most difficult you gave us),
-Mozart G Major (notes on the page aren't difficult at all, but making them sound clean and elegant is a horrifying task that VERY few violinists can succeed at).
September 24, 2017, 12:00 AM · My order from hard to easy would be:

1. SIBELIUS:
extrem musical depth, partly very hard to create the wanted sound and also be projective over the orchestra and of course playing the correct notes alone can be hard in this one

2. MOZART:
there is no room for slobbiness, absolutly no room. Playing the right notes is very easy in this one, but the cleanlyness expected on Mozart these days is demanding a great performance

3/4. BRUCH/MENDELSSOHN
Depending on your strengths. Bruch demands a bit more flexibility in the left hand, Mendelssohn has the projection on long bows issue which for some is no issue at all, for others a big one.

5.ACCOLAY:
In my oppinion mistreated as student concerto. It can be a nice romantic piece. I just recently listened to Perlmans recording again and there is room for improvement in it, showing that its not just an easy piece. Playing the right notes however is easy, it is short enough to be memorized easily and projection is easy on this one.

6.THAI:
Very intuitive piece, not hard on the left hand. However projection combined with the right tone colour has been a problem on a lot of performances I heard. As often, it is not hard to play but still hard to master.

7.BACH:
Playing a baroque concerto well demands quite some bow control to achieve lightliness from time to time.

8.GLASS:
The only one in this list I did not play myself. It sounds and looks rather forgiving. If you can play arpeggio you are in it, I'd say.

This is my personal oppinion and may differ from others views heavily.

September 24, 2017, 6:10 AM · I think this is a more traditional sequence, from easy to hard:

Meditation From Thais
Accolay A Minor
Bach E Major
Mozart G Major
Bruch No 1
Mendelssohn E Minor
Sibelius D Minor

I don't know enough about Philip Glass, though.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music