Paganini caprice

September 19, 2017, 9:24 PM · Hello everyone, I was wondering what you thought about when to start a Paganini caprice? I am around Bruch concerto no. 1 level and I can play scales pretty good and I was wondering if it would be bad for me to practice caprice no. 20 for 10-15 min daily, slow and deliberate and then continue to slowly put in more time until it is done? I have talked to my teacher about this idea and she thinks as long as I do not go to crazy with it I should be fine, but she dosn't know for sure. I diffidently feel that I can tackle this caprice if it is played under tempo and only learn a few measures at a time. Just so you know, the reason why I want to learn a caprice is because I really love the music and I want to learn one as soon as possible.

Replies (7)

September 19, 2017, 10:02 PM · I'd say give it a shot. It should be okay.
September 20, 2017, 7:31 AM · Many of them are playable save for a couple of bars here and there. Most people start with 16.
Often the really nasty parts are stretches combined with string crossings.
September 20, 2017, 4:03 PM · Even though it's way beyond me, I'm aware of teachers who assign just some of the variations of 24.
Edited: September 20, 2017, 4:26 PM · I gave tha 20th Caprice from Paganini to a very talented student last year. But it was just a test and we put it away after some time.
I think it is good to look into more difficult stuff from time to time. I think one can learn a lot from it. This Caprice is very playable. But I think the beginning is pretty advanced for the bow: smooth slurred chords... good luck :D
September 21, 2017, 9:30 AM · #16 is the easiest Caprice IMO and I would suggest starting with that.
September 22, 2017, 6:33 AM · Thank you guys so much for your comments and tips! I think that I will do it:)
October 8, 2017, 7:23 PM · #13 is a good shout

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins