Pre-Wohlfahrt Etudes?

September 19, 2017, 8:56 AM · I have some students who could benefit from etudes but I don't think they are quite ready for Wohlfahrt. Is there a good etude book with shorter, slightly easier etudes?

Replies (9)

September 19, 2017, 1:59 PM · hi Ronda, most method books contain etudes, the very first etudes in such a method book will be what you want.
September 19, 2017, 2:22 PM · E.g. Doflein: includes his own studies that are short, musical (unlike Wohlfahrt..) and to the point.
September 19, 2017, 2:37 PM · There is also a book of "Easiest Wohlfahrt" (that's what it's called) that are suitable for beginners.
September 19, 2017, 3:26 PM · I usually just make up etudes for these types of students, depending on the specific situation. What specific characteristics are you trying to develop in them? "Etudes," thrown around as a sort of "cure all" tend not to work very well. Each etude generally has a purpose - or several purposes - that it's designed for.

Let's say a student has trouble with clean slurred string-crossings.

You could give them the following made-up etude: D-A D-A D1-A D1-A D2-A D2-A D3-A D3-A (then back down.... the dash represents a slur... afterwards, repeat on the different strings).

This is a very simple thing, and we almost can't call it an "etude." But, that's what it is: an exercise designed to solve a specific problem.

Edited: September 19, 2017, 4:03 PM · There's one that I had as a kid called "Elementary Scales and Bowings." It is in the Whistler series. (I did the Whistler books so I pretty much have them all.)

I just looked at my old book and I think it's just the thing. The first assignment date in the book was March 1972 which means I would have been 6 years old. I think your pre-Wohlfahrt student should be able to handle it.

September 20, 2017, 1:20 AM · Franz Wohlfahrt composed several sets of etudes, the most frequently used 60 Studies for the Violin, Op. 45. Mentioned above Easiest Elementary Method For Beginners on the Violin, Op. 38 are probably what you are looking for, easily available. There are also 40 Elementary Studies for the Violin, Op. 54 and 70 Easy Melodic Studies, Op. 74, ranging in difficulty with Op. 45.
September 21, 2017, 9:25 AM · It does note get much easier than Wohlfahrt Opus 38. It starts with open string studies and adds etudes a finger at a time.

The main focus of Opus 38 is the practice of scales, tempos, dynamics and articulations through the use of musical motifs.

You might be thinking about other works, like Opus 43 or 45, which are more traditional repetitive exercises that are meant to be played by the student at various speeds, slurring and articulations to develop strength and ease of movement.

September 22, 2017, 1:19 AM · Hans Sitt etudes book 1.
Edited: September 22, 2017, 12:12 PM · I share Erik's approach, basics and sequential exercises trather than "études", but some older students, and especially the parents of young ones, are reassured by a bag full of études.

But an étude is a musical composition: it may well have no expressive "message", but it must be coherent, with a strong sense of key, harmonic progression, period, cadence, modulations that go somewhere, etc. otherwise we are giving the student a degraded music, which is not our mission!

E.g. Kayser and Mazas are more "musical", and Wohlfarht distinctly mediocre, in my not-specially-humble opinion.. (But then I am also an unrepentant Seitz-basher: our children deserve the best we can offer!)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance