Filing down calluses

September 15, 2017, 7:04 PM · Today I had to file down the callus on my first finger because the callus grew into the shape of the string indentation on my finger. Recently, it had gotten so deep that the string would buzz under my finger unless I pressed too hard, the filing fixed it. Is this a normal thing to do, or is it a symptom of me pressing the string too hard?

Replies (4)

Edited: September 15, 2017, 7:12 PM · You may be pressing too hard and you may be using strings that are too thick. If you are playing in high positions your strings may be too high above the fingerboard. They could be too high at the nut and/or at the bridge. Near the nut the string height should be about the thickness of a normal business card.
September 15, 2017, 9:01 PM · Nathan Cole made a great video about left hand finger pressure. I think you're pressing too hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SC4oO9l8P-8

September 16, 2017, 7:22 AM · Can't see what you're doing and/or not doing, but it does sound like a case of pressing too hard. Whatever it is, you shouldn't have actual calluses. Some toughening or leathering is common, though, and shouldn't cause any problems -- in fact, I find it desirable.

I do slight filing of the occasional rough edges the develop over time so that they won't catch on the string or anything else. One precaution I take, when I resume practicing after a week or more away from it, is to keep the sessions short for the first few days. This helps me rebuild the toughness incrementally and avoid injuring tissues farther down.

September 16, 2017, 3:36 PM · Just keep a piece of 100-grit garnet sandpaper in your case and use that just a little before you practice.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin