Little Circular Objects given with Pirastro Chromcors

September 15, 2017, 3:13 PM · I have recently been changing strings for others and I encountered a set of authentic Pirastro Chromcor strings that came with little rubber things. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Replies (4)

September 15, 2017, 6:26 PM · There is a single string mute/suppressor called a Tourte-style mute. It clips on the bridge over a single string. A v-notch on one side allows the string to enter the bridge without touching the mute. A slot on the other side has a slit on the bottom that lets the after-length go into the slot.

I have had a good experience using these over a violin G string to smooth out growly tones on inexpensive violins. It slightly mutes the string and gives it a mellower sound.

Edited: September 15, 2017, 7:04 PM · There are two kind of "round things" that come with strings. The O shaped ones (whether of felt or rubber/plastic) can be used at the bridge to modify the tone. The tube shaped ones(usually plastic) go over the E string to protect the bridge slot.

I never use any of them.

September 17, 2017, 8:31 AM · I'm assuming they're the little things that go over the strings to protect the bridge, like Andrew mentions. Chormcors are steel strings and I usually see them on steel E/A strings so that is my assumption.
Edited: September 21, 2017, 4:22 PM · Thomastik Spirocores were supplied with tiny rubber rings which sit on the bridge but under the string: the string sits directly on the bridge through the hole. The ring pushes up under the string, but down on the bridge. This filters some of the high frequency fizz of metallic strings (which I no longer hear at 68yo!)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music