Designing/redecorating a violin case for my sister

September 15, 2017, 11:53 AM · Hello,

My older sister also plays violin and I was thinking of a nice Christmas gift for her. She is always complaining how boring and dull her violin case is. It may seem rather unimportant to most of you, but my sister loves to feminine-fy everything. We have been googling a lot on "cute violin case" but we never found much unfortunately . So I was thinking as a (upcoming Christmas or maybe even just regular lol) gift I'd make a pretty feminine case for her. I'm just wondering are all cases suitable for this? I would like to redesign the inside especially with a different fabric. My sister loves those old Victorian rose patterns. I can easily find the fabric but honestly no idea if it's even possible to do this? I had my eye on this one but not sure how doable my idea is . I would've preferred a more dark brown colour, but they are pretty much non existent, most cases are black or neon(pink/green/yellow) colours where I live

http://www.gear4music.nl/nl/Houtblazers-Koperblazers-Snaarinstrumenten/Sinfonica-vioolkoffer-vormige-4-4-glasvezel-wit/L5X?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw9O3NBRB3EiwAK6wPT0bv_v21sTd7qUuHW3xH1uRw1MR_HgJKzpDTsivwJU6_7XbZRiZ4uhoC2BsQAvD_BwE

Replies (17)

September 15, 2017, 1:38 PM · Musafia makes cases with custom fabrics, like this one: LINK

Note that the fabric on a violin case is not just for decoration. It is part of the humidity control within the case. So the right type of fabric has to be chosen.

September 15, 2017, 2:13 PM · Thank you Lydia Leong! I have seen their website before, but I read they mostly make cases for pro violinists which probably means the prices must be very high I think. And im not in a financial situation where I can spend 400+ euro on a case. My sister is very into vintage and victorian stuff so a case which reflects her more romantic style would be the ideal gift for her.
September 15, 2017, 2:24 PM · If you dont find such a case in your price range ypu could lool for nice violin blankets and bags on etsy.or elsewhere..or have them tailored. DIY inside a case might not be a good idea if you dont know what youre doing.
September 15, 2017, 3:47 PM · Yeah I think it's going to be difficult. There's a really cute/feminine violin case from lang, but it's 550 euros which just is too crazy for my budget. Not to mention my sister would never accept such a exepensive gift. We are mere hobby violinists. I can't find much about it online either so I guess my desires to do this case pimping is pretty unpopular haha :)
September 15, 2017, 4:38 PM · What a nice and thoughtful idea Sophie. I like the idea Tammuz mentioned previously of a blanket for the violin. You can make one by cutting out a thin cardboard template traced from the case and you transfer this to a piece of material such as silk or velvet. You can then sew the two pieces together with a thick piece of felt or polyester batting in the middle. There is dozens of different colored and patterned silks and velvet. I have never used fleece but there is a huge array of patterns and pictures available and it is a third the cost of silk and velvet.
September 15, 2017, 5:00 PM · Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but these cases are cute and feminine without being outrageously priced.
https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=CSVNBA5003SK/1BB

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=CSVNBA5001SK/1YB

Edited: September 15, 2017, 5:31 PM · For my Mom's Christmas present I did the same. The case was an old wooden case from the 30s. It was a fantastic project. I think anything is possible if you just put some thought into it before jump on it too quick. Test your ideas out on something of no value first. Good luck with yours, she will love it. Here's an image before and after:

photo violin_case_zpsu3komfew.jpg

September 15, 2017, 5:37 PM · Sophie, probably too expensive but maybe a Negri case?
https://www.sharmusic.com/Cases-Bags/Violin/Negri-Roma-Violin-Case.axd
September 15, 2017, 6:06 PM · I second the recommendation for a violin blanket. They're typically in the range of $30 -
$100 to have one handmade for you. For example: LINK

A violin blanket can add a lot to the look of a case interior.

September 16, 2017, 6:10 PM · I wonder where I might be able to get a Hello Kitty violin blanket. Or Minions...
September 17, 2017, 2:35 AM · Actually I made a 3/4 size Hello Kitty blanket some time back that I sold. The Hello Kitty side wasn't silk, but it sure was cute. I also made myself two silk (silk fabric, silk fill/batting and silk thread to sew it) violin blankets for myself, because I wanted something nicer than what was available for sale. (A lot of the premade ones that are called "silk" are in fact a polyester satin.) For the OP, I do think the custom blanket would be a nice alternative to a custom case.
September 17, 2017, 7:37 AM · I was thinking maybe she could design a case cover. The inside of a case (as has been noted) would be quite difficult to do on a modern case. However, most oblong/halfmoon cases have a textile cover that is either made to be removed, or can be removed with a little surgical work and replaced.

The case it-self is a protective tool and I wouldn't mess around with the actual structure of the inside of the case for fear of damaging something, but replacing the cover should be a great way to make a pretty case. You could also add improvements to the music pocket, add a real hydrophobic layer, etc.

September 17, 2017, 10:50 AM · I've seen the interior of a case be re-upholstered. Although... I'm not too sure how safe that would be for the violin since some of the protection via padding is gone. Another way to decorate is the cloth for the instrument or non-obtrusive knick knacks. I knew one lady that added rhinestones to everything.

IMO. decorating the exterior may be easier or just purchasing a case with a print she likes [Jakob Winter for example]. Mostly I've seen custom painted cases or fiberglass cases with a bunch of stickers on them.

September 17, 2017, 11:50 AM · Putting rhinestones inside a violin case strikes me as a horrible idea. Wouldn't they scratch the instrument?

I'm another vote for a nice custom blanket.

September 17, 2017, 10:08 PM · The idea of modifying an old case is definitely not so good: modern violin cases contain a suspension system, and merely replacing the lining of an old case is a terrible idea. A modern case suspends the violin at 3 points of contact such that some force may be absorbed without the rest of the violin touching the case. And a properly designed case will also keep some space above the bridge, so one can't just put in padding into the case bottom, or you risk deformation and cracking from the enhanced height when anything touches the case above the bridge. Most old cases simply don't have enough clearance.

I have seen inexpensive cases that might be what you are looking for - at the NAMM trade show. These were Chinese manufacturers; I don't know of a US outlet. Try here: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=violin+case+decorated and Finally found the vendor! It is Kinglos...look at their advanced art violin cases - none too expensive...http://www.kinglos.com/category.php?id=78

Edited: September 18, 2017, 10:44 AM · Lol, attaches a link to a $100 violin case... and gets recommended a brand that is usually in the several hundreds, sometimes even thousands (specially if you add those pretty things the poster wants), hahahaha.

I'd recommend you to buy a cheap but good enough violin case (somewhere between $100-200), and then glue with proper glue for fabrics (if there's such a thing) those things you know she likes. What you want to do is a DIY violin case, so it's pretty much straight forward. You buy a good budget case and start working. You can always put stickers outside the case, I'm sure there are "romantic" stickers with beautiful patterns that you will find awesome.

Here's a video of a girl unboxing a fancy violin case, may be that's your start point. If I'm not wrong, she will put stickers on the cover over time, but I guess you want even more decoration, specially inside:

September 19, 2017, 6:58 AM · Funny I have seen that video as well :) but yeah the outward is pretty straight forward. I just wasn't sure what to do with the inside. I've been looking around for a good case now first. I was first looking for brown colours. But I think I'm one of the few people looking for that colour since I can barely find any :p try he kinglos ones are very pretty too also I live in western Europe not the USA
Yeah and I already knew about musafia haha not in my budget :p

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins