Stark Evah Pirazzi violin strings

September 14, 2017, 7:33 PM · Hi!

Has anyone had experience with STARK evah pirazzi strings?
How do they compare with the normal medium gauge evahs?

Thanks,

Daniel

Replies (20)

September 14, 2017, 8:44 PM · Evahs are already high tension. You sure you want to go there?
September 14, 2017, 8:49 PM · I was thinking the same thing as Paul.

I mean you can always try them, but I suspect a lot of instruments might start to choke at this point. (This is truly only a guess though)

September 14, 2017, 8:54 PM · I have tried Obligato Stark. Playable for sure, but it takes work to start the tone, so you will want to press a bit more. And that experience will replicate itself even more for EP.

Some do use it successfully. But make sure they work for your violin and technique. Medium is already powerful enough, and Stark EP may not be more powerful, or at least not necessarily project more. They will sound "darker" and fuller, and powerful under the ear, but you will feel the difference in your fingers and bow contact, as they are not as pliable (apologies if I am stating the obvious.)

Note that I tend to like heavier tensions, but this is for gut, and for the most part. For regular EP, I would actually recommend the "weich", which is anything but "weak" in tone and are easier to play-plus some violins benefit from the slightly less tension.

September 15, 2017, 9:19 AM · Do you have a particular reason you wish to try them? Is there something you want from the Evah medium that you are not getting?
September 15, 2017, 2:10 PM · Michael McGrath wrote:
" I was thinking the same thing as Paul.
I mean you can always try them, but I suspect a lot of instruments might start to choke at this point. (This is truly only a guess though)"

Yup, many instruments will "choke" with just the medium Evah strings. Even the mediums have limited applications.

September 15, 2017, 5:59 PM · My 1894 Benzinger violin and my 1927 EH Roth viola would both choke on Evah and Obligatto mittens when I pushed in orchestra. I firmly believe that it was the strings b/c Kaplan Amo's can pull much more out of both of those instruments
September 15, 2017, 9:48 PM · Warning you that opinions on strings are extremely controversial because
a. every player has their unique preferences for sound and playability
b. every violin possesses unique traits that they choose to change in different ways
c. differences in bowing styles can affect the sound and playability a fair hair
d. cost, lifespan and perspiration issues also go into a player's string choice.
September 16, 2017, 5:48 AM · I plan on getting Stark ones in a couple weeks; I'll let you know if you haven't already bought them!
September 16, 2017, 6:41 AM · As long as the op doesnt tell us why he wants this rather extreme solztion its a useless discussio.
September 16, 2017, 7:02 AM · Just the thought of stark Evah's make my LH hurt! hehe.
September 16, 2017, 7:18 AM · I tried them on a Tarisio violin once. They weren't the torture device that people may envision.

Arabella Steinbacher wrote in a Strad interview that she uses them.

September 16, 2017, 7:38 PM · I'm sure they have a limited use case. If I was looking at a violin and it had stark Evah's on it, I'd wonder what they were trying to compensate for by setting it up with those strings.
September 16, 2017, 8:06 PM · I wouldn't wonder that, as maybe the player likes the combo or how they work for their instrument. EPs are good strings, though I wouldn't recommend Stark on a normal situation, as I stated some time earlier. Many professionals use medium EPs with heavy or "super heavy" steel Es on their "old Italians." Maybe their violins are bad and they have "something to hide", but I am more inclined to think they like what they hear, or at the very worst, are merely following a trend.

I prefer gut myself, but modern marketing has taken its toll on their popularity. The most outrageous lie about them, other than the annoying, not necessarily true "they are not powerful enough", is that they don't last well vs synthetics... which has never been a fact for me-pure marketing hype in favor of synthetics (of course I doubt the OP is interested in going this route.)

I like VTS very much for a synthetic set (even their E), in lieu of a "power EP set". They are very different, though, despite both being loud strings.

September 17, 2017, 4:18 AM · I know two guys that have used Evah Stark with Andrea Solo rosin for years because they want want volume and this combo certainly gives it to them. I have never tried their setup to comment on playability. I had Evan Medium once on my instrument and liked them but they are too expensive for me to buy every three months.
September 17, 2017, 5:32 AM · Adalberto - I would absolutely have doubts about buying a violin setup that way. Preferring that setup after the fact because you *think* it’s the best way to project is an entirely different scenario. More tension / Stark strings do not always mean more tone / louder.
Edited: September 17, 2017, 6:34 AM · Guitar makers, such as Taylor, responded to demand for different sound (metal strings and higher tension) by inventing different bracing patterns. Violin makers did not. More pressure will inevitably lead to top plate depression or even worse.
Always keep this fact on mind before you put high tension strings on your violin.
You are a custodian of an instrument - they are meant to last longer than us. Thank to previous generations of custodians for the fact your antique violin is still in a good shape.
Lastly, ask yourself: what are you trying to accomplish with HT strings? If you need a louder instrument, perhaps violin is not the best choice for you.
Edited: September 17, 2017, 12:17 PM · Rocky, almost all fine cellos are set up with steel strings that probably have far more tension than the gut strings from a century ago. Are all these cellos in serious danger?

That could be the case - I'm not sure and am wondering.

September 17, 2017, 3:24 PM · Some more wondering - perhaps the Stark EPs are intended to be used on violins (fiddles?) built like tanks, the sort that might be used on stage in a pop music show, where loudness and brilliance are at a premium?

I tried a set of standard EPs a few years ago and didn't like them one bit, and anyway they were too expensive for my liking. I think it's more sensible to use a set of decent steel strings if you're going along that road - they'll last far, far longer than anything else and do the business well. If steel strings were good enough for the Quartetto Italiano all those years ago ...

Andrew, I'm not particularly worried about cellos - they seem to be built to take rather more knocking about than a violin can (and the double bass even more so). I used steel strings (Helicores) on my mid-19th century French cello for many years with no problems, and I believe the same set is still on the instrument which is now in the possession of its new owner, my daughter. Of course, I'd have real doubts about anything other than gut on a baroque cello (or violin, for that matter) that has not been opened up and converted to the modern specification. I've been told that Casals's cello, on which he used gut for all his life, was changed to steel strings on its major refurbishment a few years ago.

September 17, 2017, 4:20 PM · Andrew, I am not a cellist and have no idea if cello metal strings are more tense than gut. I do know that violin string tension has been rising in past 10 years. I will leave it up to you to take chances with your instrument.
Edited: September 17, 2017, 4:50 PM · While I agree many players may not need as much tension as they are often made to believe, I am not sure the Stark EPs will "destroy" a violin over time-though to be fair to Mr. Milankov and others, I also do not have evidence it's also "harmless." That said, the potential problem is that many violins do not really "need" this sort of tension, and even projection *may* suffer, among a few other drawbacks, so one just may as well just use mediums (or less, IMHO) for many synthetic string types.

As I mentioned elsewhere, my current wound gut/pure gut/steel E "set" is very slightly less tension than both VTS and green mittel EPs, yet they eliminate the lone wolf on my G's high C-while still retaining a big, clear, and also rich sound, not lacking in volume at all. It is "heavy tension" for gut, but comparable to EP mittel (more tension than Dominant Medium, though), yet still way easier to play, with a tone of substantially more character; the results are amazing indeed.

(The EPs have great colors and power-they are really good! But gut does beat them in most areas save immediate room stability-which honestly is NOT a true problem in my experience. I am at this point not convinced synthetics are the more "powerful, modern" option for every violin and player out there. EPs have a full, beautiful, brilliant tone, great volume, and steel-like stability, but for their convenience you have to "pay" for their other "problems"... many people are OK with these drawbacks, and in the end we should just play and let play, quite honestly.)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music