Sevcik Op 1 No 1

September 14, 2017, 4:48 PM · I have been practicing Sevcik op 1 No 1. The first three bars are pretty easy but the next bars are hard for me. I've only been practing this without the help of my teacher. I just asked her if I can practice it, and she said surely. Can somebody give me a link on how to practice it properly?
There is an asterisk that says "keep the fingers down firmly" can somebody explain it to me clearly?
Thank you

Replies (6)

Edited: September 14, 2017, 6:31 PM · Sevcik is great, but make sure to approach him in small amounts. It's very tedious work, but very good for your left hand.

when he say's to keep your fingers down firmly, it means to keep the previous fingers down. For example, in bar one when playing A-B-C-B, you will play open A, then place B, then, whiling keeping first finger down on B, place C.

In bar two, you will do similar, except with B-C-D-C. You will place one on B, holding it there while placing two on C, holding two on C (and 1 on B) while placing three on D.

This also applies to measure three, where you are 'starting' on C. You will should place both 1 and two down at the exact same time on B and C, even though only C will be heard. The reason for this is it will help secure your intonation by giving you a consistent hand shape. You will do the same thing in measure 4, where it goes A-B-A-C - when you get to the point where you play C, you should still place down the first finger for B at the same time.

Something else to note is that these aren't really 'linear' measures. Each measure should be repeated several times until perfect, or as close as you can get at this point. There is no rush to get to the next measure. When you reach a sticking point (ex: measure 4) then work on just that measure until you can play it correctly before moving on.

Hope this helps. I use these same studies on occasion - I love them. There are also some great bowing exercises by Sevcik that go well with these - practice working in different parts of the bow and a few flexibility exercises.

Edited: September 14, 2017, 6:36 PM · Also don't be afraid to try exercises 2, 3, and 4. They're the same thing, just on the other strings. Exercise 4 switches to two measure units but you can still play them one at a time.
Edited: September 16, 2017, 9:37 AM · Thank you very much for making the exercise clearer. One more question, how about bar 5 and 6, how do I approach them properly?
September 16, 2017, 3:04 PM · Sure Albert,

The procedure is the same for all 4 of these exercises.

In bar 5 you will hold your first finger on B the entire measure, playing C with 2 as normal. When it comes time to play the D you should place 2 back onto the C - so you have one on B, two on C, and three on D.

In bar 6 you again keep 1 on B the entire measure, placing two down for C, and holding it there while playing D. When it comes time to play the E on beat four you are placing both 3 on D and 4 on E at the exact same time.

The trick is to place them at the same instant, so that only the high note sounds. What this does is helps to build your 'cage' for your hand.

There is a similar exercise called spider scales that you can do and serves a similar purpose. If you were to play the G major scale, you would place 1, 2, and 3 on the D string (E, F, G) and then play your open G string. When it is time to play A you would move 1 from the E on the D string to the A on the G string, when it comes time to play B you would keep 1 on A and move 2 from the D string to finger B, and so forth. They're called spider scales because the hand motion looks like a spider.

Hope this helps

Edited: September 17, 2017, 6:37 AM · Thank you. This helps a lot.
September 17, 2017, 7:33 AM · Happy Practicing :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music