Short Concerto To Play (Violin)

September 11, 2017, 6:55 PM · Hallo all. Recently I have gotten myself tangled into a Concerto Competition for my symphony orchestra. Of course, originally I had not intended to join, but we had a few miscommunications and now I'm in it. Now, it's a Concerto competition and I realized that most Concertos are wayy too long for me to memorize and complete in around 1 month or so. Is there any short Concertos that any of you guys know of that would be good for a competition, but yet short! Thanks all.

Replies (6)

September 11, 2017, 7:39 PM · Need more information: what is the most recent concerto you learned, and how well could you play it? (in tempo, in tune, did you struggle with any part of the technique, etc) It's impossible to make suggestions without having any idea of your technical level and experience.

Also does this competition require a complete concerto or just one movement?

Edited: September 12, 2017, 12:22 PM · I would go with something that I have previously worked, cause 1 month or so would seem to me extremely stressful to go with something new.

Maybe something Mozart or Bach could do the trick

Otherwise Prokofiev No.1 and Wieniawski 2, are relatively short

YET I don't believe that shorter means easier to memorize.

Edit: my reply is based completely on the info you provided.

September 12, 2017, 1:53 PM · Ah. The last concerto I've played was the Bach Concerto in E minor. I suppose that could've been a short enough Concerto to play again.
Edited: September 12, 2017, 2:48 PM · In that case perhaps the first movement of Kabalevsky. Wait a minute ... you've got a month to do this? I suggest you play what you already have then. Did you mean Bach E Major? Nice piece, but need to sparkle. Get busy polishing and make sure it's really smooth with the accompanist.
September 12, 2017, 7:24 PM · Do you need an entire concerto or just one movement?

If your last concerto was the Bach E Major and you only have a month, you should polish the Bach and play it. Prokofiev and Wieniawski are way out of your league.

Kabalevsky is a good suggestion but I agree with Paul, not in a month.

September 13, 2017, 5:19 AM · Ok Thanks guys!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin