Orchestral Sheet Music for Classical Operas

Edited: September 10, 2017, 8:31 AM · It is really bothering me that it seems like nowhere online can I find orchestral parts for classical operas. I would love to learn The Abduction from the Seraglio and other operas and I play the violin. I don't sing.

It seems like it is impossible to find UNARRANGED music for the entire opera (not just the overture). Does anyone know where I can buy sheet music for operas, preferably not an individual violin part and a score.

I know these are expensive but I HATE arrangements.

Replies (8)

September 10, 2017, 9:28 AM · I'd have a browse through IMSLP for free download of score and parts. If IMSLP don't have it then I can't think offhand who would!
September 10, 2017, 9:52 AM · Here's the overture. IMSLP doesn't seem to have the whole opera in parts, just the score (and a piccolo part).

http://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg/5/59/IMSLP52724-PMLP15322-Mozart-K384ov.Violin.pdf

You can get the full score on Amazon also, but not the parts. Honestly, it seems to me that the market for an individual full opera part would be somewhat limited so it doesn't surprise me that they're hard to find.

Best bet would probably be to get in touch with your local professional opera orchestra and ask the librarian who publishes the parts they use, then contact the publisher directly.

Edited: September 10, 2017, 10:23 AM · https://www.efkalmus.com/operalist.php click on the catalogue number. https://www.efkalmus.com/kalorchdetail.php?r=3870 is your specific one, looks like an individual part is $30

(they're based in Florida, you might want to wait a couple weeks before placing an order)

September 10, 2017, 12:53 PM · There's a reason why people do arrangements -- the first violin line isn't going to work standalone. If you want a score because you want to do your own arrangement, though, that's a different thing -- but in that case you will want a full score, not just a violin (presumably first violin) part.

Dover publishes full scores for operas at an extremely reasonable price. For instance, here's Abduction (LINK) for $20.

September 10, 2017, 5:29 PM · Frankly, I can't see how the violin part to Abduction would be interesting at all without the rest of the band. Including piatti.

The best places to check orchestra parts, including opera, is probably Kalmus or Luck's. These parts are available, because some are used for orchestral auditions. For example, Verdi and Weber overtures are often seen. So is Rosencavalier, etc.

I'm wondering if the OP isn't bothered that he can't get these parts for FREE...
Unfortunately that seems to be the expectation these days: instantly downloadable and free.

September 10, 2017, 5:59 PM · Some people do get more out of a performance if they know at least one of the parts. If you don't read scores at the piano, it's not a completely bad way to start getting acquainted with unfamiliar music.
September 10, 2017, 9:25 PM · Well, the OP did say that he was willing to buy the parts. I do wish that Dover would offer Kindle editions of its scores, though.

September 11, 2017, 9:06 AM · Ditto on that; Luck's or Kalmus for complete 1st violin parts. Dover for public domain complete scores. There are some good 19th century arrangements of Mozart opera arias for 2-violin duet. Over the years I have purchased a lot of personal copies of 1st violin parts of standard repertoire. I can work on bowings ahead of the 1st rehearsal when librarian doesn't do his job.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin