Good pieces to learn after Bach Double

September 9, 2017, 6:56 PM · Hi, I am new to here, and I am also new to the violin. I am an adult violin starter/learner with classical piano background.

I am finishing up Bach Double 1st mvt from Suzuki Book 4, and my teacher is asking me what I want to learn next. My teacher said we won’t do any more Suzuki books. What would be good/appropriate pieces after Bach Double 1st mvt? I haven’t learned vibrato yet...

Thank you in advance for your time!

Replies (22)

September 9, 2017, 7:13 PM · If you're finishing up the Bach Double in Suzuki book 4, that is the second violin part of the first movement. It's a good idea to learn the first violin part also. :-)

I usually teach the Vivaldi g minor concerto at this point.

Edited: September 9, 2017, 7:26 PM · A few works around that level that work on different things...

Rieding b minor (first position, minor mode, lyricism).

La Cinquaintaine...composer leaving me right now. Nice piece to reinforce shifting, work on expressiveness and apply vibrato as well as bow stroke work.

Bohm Sarabande--maybe *after* some vibrato work, as this one wants a lot of expression!

Seitz Concerto 2-no shifting here but will reinforce a lot of your speed technique and develop variations in bowing and rhythms. Unless you're Seitzed out from Suz. 4 :) (the last mvt of Seitz 2 is in Suz 4 but I actually prefer teaching the first and second mvt--the first for "chops" and the second for lyricism.)

Persichetti Masques--technically these are probably at an easier level but if you want to grow musical precision in a competely different style they are fun!!

Boy Paganini--for 5th position and lots of technique; easily around the level of Bach double but you will probably want vibrato for some of the lyrical sections.

Kuchler D major (op.11?) or a full Vivaldi (G major is a fun one, I forget op #) are nice to continue working precision/style/3rd position and both will be reasonable w/o vibrato.

Note that most of the ones I mentioned are not technically harder than bach double. In fact some are easier. I'm just guessing that if your vibrato is not ready yet you might be wanting to strengthen "sideways" rather than plow ahead. (And unless there is a reason to put off vibrato, you may want to work on that soon--many/most of the pieces at and beyond this level will be much more satisfying if you have that at your disposal :) )

I think probably you should ask yourself (and your teacher) what areas you want to and need to grow in and choose a piece based on that. If you have been just going "straight through the books" you may want to consider a more purposeful path.

September 9, 2017, 7:27 PM · BTW once you've got the vibrato down and if your teacher thinks your bow control is ready for the challenge, ask to go learn the 2nd mvt of Bach double. So amazingly lovely :)
September 11, 2017, 2:26 PM · Vivaldi G Minor is beautiful, although I heard many teachers skip Suzuki #5 for whatever reason.
September 11, 2017, 6:58 PM · I would play uhhhh, lets see what I did, Allegro by Fiocco. Or at least I think his name was that
Edited: September 12, 2017, 6:17 AM · Also, the Bach Double has three movements! Certainly you could play the second movement; the last movement is a bit tricky but that's another one to put on your list for the future. The Accolay Concerto is another option.
September 12, 2017, 10:43 AM · It's interesting you are leaving the Suzuki books after Book 4 and then the pieces people are recommending to you are pieces in Book 5. Actually I didn't think Book 5 was all that great, partly because I'm not wild about the Vivaldi G Minor, but Book 6 is fantastic. One nice piece in Book 5 is the Veracini Gigue, you need to do that.
September 12, 2017, 10:49 AM · La Folia is also a great piece for putting various bow strokes into action.
September 12, 2017, 10:50 AM · I had a book called "Fun with Solos" (compiled by Evelyn Avasharian) that was a nice complement to Suzuki around that time. I don't think the level of the pieces is harder than the Bach Double but if you haven't yet learned vibrato, it's probably about right. Good mix of styles and techniques in there.
September 12, 2017, 11:39 AM · I, and my colleagues, have always referred to this concerto as, "The Dark Bubble". Not for any satanic reason, just a play on words.

Cheers Carlo

September 12, 2017, 12:03 PM · Thais' Meditation may be worthy of consideration.
Edited: September 12, 2017, 1:01 PM · Meditation will depend on whether certain technical stuff has been well established -- "romantic" shifting and especially vibrato (schmaltz generally), but it's also a good piece for working on all that. I would not do Meditation before you have done the Bach-Gounod Ave Maria.

Laurie mentioned La Folia and that's one of the pieces that makes Book 6 awesome. But I would do the Veracini Gigue first. La Folia is hard, but I think you should do La Folia before you do Accolay.

September 12, 2017, 4:07 PM · I think most students learn vibrato, at least at a basic level, before they learn the Bach Double. (My son, who is in Suzuki Book 5, started learning it in book 3.) I think it would be best to spend a couple of months developing vibrato before moving on to new repertoire. Your teacher probably has a sequence of exercises for this. Then you could add vibrato to some of the slower pieces you've already learned.

As far as what repertoire to tackle next, Barbara Barber has a nice set of books, with piano accompaniment and CDs, with a variety of short pieces that you should be able to play. You could listen to the CDs and pick pieces that you like.

Edited: October 9, 2017, 6:44 PM · Thank you, all, very much for your suggestions and advices! I checked all of them and I am getting excited. To be honest, I was feeling stuck in coming up with ideas without learning vibrato. I asked my teacher in May or April if I am ready for learning vibrato. My teacher said yes and s/he will teach me, but s/he seems too busy with teaching other stuff and we haven’t started vibrato yet.
September 13, 2017, 8:38 AM · If you want a preview on vibrato before the lesson, check out the vibrato tutorials by professorV on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zraCMnfqTso&list=PL2266F2353CEA4A34
September 14, 2017, 7:27 PM · Sung, thank you soooo much for the link! I’ve just watched it and it is eye-opening! I couldn’t wait for my teacher and I’ve been practicing alone using some books and information on the web, but it is very hard for someone like me who try vibrato for the first time...
October 8, 2017, 6:31 PM · Israeli Concertino - Perlman
October 9, 2017, 4:18 AM · John Williams Schindler List, Remembrances.
Tchaikovsky Canzonetta
Monti -Czardas
Handel sonata in F major op 1 no 12
Bach in a minor
October 9, 2017, 4:52 AM · Now that's interesting. The post on September 14, 2017, 7:27 PM is from someone with no name whatsoever.
Edited: October 9, 2017, 8:49 AM · If you have not at this stage, this is not what you're asking but you should also consider increasing focus on etudes rather than tackling something too demanding. When I was at your stage, similar progression from Suzuki books, I ended up struggling in developing musicality as opposed to just playing the notes. In retrospect it was because I wasn't introduced to a steady regime of etudes and exercises to develop proper bow technique and dexterity as I should have earlier. Now at a later stage I have to take a recess, even going back in repertoire to catch up. I think this is where Suzuki falls short IMO.

P.s. please edit your profile so we can see your name as per Forum's rules.

October 9, 2017, 8:58 AM · I agree with Roger. Studies are good for you. After Suzuki Book 4 you can do Kayser.
Edited: October 10, 2017, 12:25 PM · (Thank you for mentioning my account, too. I wasn't aware of it. I don’t know what is happening with my account, and I’ m in contact with Laurie.)

Thank you for the more inputs. I really appreciate it. My teacher started using Kreutzer recently (my teacher probably didn’t go through Kayser). I was always interested in etudes, so I am happy about that. It seems like my teacher already had an idea of doing Vivaldi d minor before whatever piece I want to learn. I am a bit confused. My teacher wanted me to be able to play the BD at 80=quarter, didn’t do the duets and moved on to this Vivaldi without any specific directions/comments. Anyway, thank you very much for all the suggestions and advice!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music