Cushy cover topsy turvy ?

Edited: September 9, 2017, 9:29 AM · Hi
I just got my violin case (dart shaped Musafia) a Cushy cover for the winters here.
I noticed however that when strapped backpack style with the violin case inside, the violin/violin case is in an inverted position relative to when i wear the violin case without Cushy cover. That is to say, the violin fingerboard points upwards and the violin body downwards. Is this a safe configuration? The case itself is superb (although i lost my violin blanket :( and will see if i can order one from Mr Musafia..but thats another topic)...just that its now held upside down concerns me.
Unless im wearing the cover upside down..which would mean im physically not regular and my shoulders should be level with my navel or something.. :/

Replies (6)

September 9, 2017, 8:35 AM · The normal way, when wearing as backpack, is to have the instrument with the scroll up and the body down. You must have the instrument up-side-down in your normal configuration. This won't hurt the violin, but it does put pressure on the bow tips. Put a little padding above, or in your case, below the tips.

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name in accordance with the rules of Vcom.

September 10, 2017, 5:02 AM · Thanks Carlo. However, with the Musafia dart shaped case, its worn with scroll pointing downwards. The strap latches are at situated at the widest meant on the widest part of the instrument case, shoulders go there...so widest part of the violin/violin case is the part aligned with shoulders.. example

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/music/scripts/violin-viola-cello-music.cgi?itemno=CSVNMU4111S/1BG

When the case is in a Cushy bag,the case finds itelf upside down , scroll pointing upwards.

Example
http://www.sharmusic.com/Cases-Bags/Violin/Cushy-174-Deluxe-Carry-All-0153-Dart-Shape-Backpack-Case-Cover-for-Violin.axd

Just wondering whether its safe to reverse case orientation if it was made to be held other way up.

September 10, 2017, 6:37 AM · I would carry the first case (the Johnson strings link) with the scroll up, just like the cushy cover. It just doesn't make sense to me to carry a shaped case any other way (but whatever works for you).

Regardless, if a case is that touchy that it needs to be carried a certain way up, the case is not protective at all and worthless. Musafia cases are designed to survive just about anything up to (and sometimes including) running over it with your car. I wouldn't give it a second thought and carry it however it is comfortable.

September 10, 2017, 6:55 AM · Thanks Ingrid. I dont think its possible though to carry case scroll up (without cushy case). Notice that shoulder straps converge in the direction of scroll...so shpulders dont fit there and violin case would ride too high up.but im sure the case is great as it is meant to be. Was wondering whether it would be ok as possibly not meant to be (in a cushy case). However, i think given your responses, scroll up is good anyway
.so thank you :)
September 10, 2017, 7:09 AM · the musafia dart case I believe is meant to be carried with the scroll up - the straps are attached in the same way on oblong cases. If your shoulders don't fit, loosen the straps. You should be able to sit down while wearing your violin case, and if you're holding it the opposite way, as you are, I'm not sure you can.
Edited: September 10, 2017, 8:15 AM · Ok we've established im physically irregular and the topsy turvy one hihi. It was such a nice fit upside down though. Ill loosen the straps and wear it as should be worn. Thank you all.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin