advice on my LTCL repertoire

Edited: September 9, 2017, 8:25 AM · Hi all,
For my LTCL which is in around two months I've changed my repertoire from Mozart 4+ introduction and rondo saint to Mozart 4+ Elgar Violin Sonata because intro was a bit too adventorous and I dont think I can play it to recital standard in the time spam. Elgar on the other hand, altho not easy, is much more musically and technically managable (for me at least).
I was wondering if I could play like the first two movements of Elgar or first and last movements due to time or would it be weird? If I play both pieces fully itll be around 48-51 minutes but LTCL only allows 43 mintues of playing time.
Thanks

Replies (2)

September 9, 2017, 8:46 AM · You will be penalised if you go overtime. Have this discussion with your teacher.

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name in accordance with the rules of Vcom.

September 11, 2017, 2:01 AM · As page 10 of the syllabus says:

"Sonatas, sonatinas, suites and other works conceived by the composer as complete unities should be played complete (ie all
sections or movements should be played). Constructing your programme around one or more complete work(s) in this way is
a useful approach to planning your diploma. However, depending on the level and the repertoire available for your
instrument, you may include selected movements, provided that a balanced recital programme is maintained. Suitable examples
are included in the listings. Programmes containing listed pieces not played in full must be submitted for approval."

- so you can select 2 movements of the Elgar, but your programme must be pre-approved by them.

I have little knowledge of how Trinity approach these things so can't say whether they'll say "yes" or not!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin