Platinum e with PI strings

September 8, 2017, 7:06 PM · Can anyone tell me their experience with the platinum e string with the PI strings or have they found an alternative e string they like to go with the other PIs?

Replies (21)

September 8, 2017, 7:51 PM · Are you using the strings right now? Before a few years I got the set with the platinum E. Well, it's an E string that costs around 20 dollars/euros . It was nice but it did not made THAT huge difference (to me). I used it also with Eudoxa plain steel E, Gold Label E and the Dominant E (I sometimes like it in a particular instrument) All of them seemed ok to me. Also as far as I know, the PI set comes with 3 different E options, platinum, gold and tin.
September 8, 2017, 8:03 PM · I love the PI platinum E string. I have used it with PI sets, Vision Solo sets, and Evah Pirazzi Gold sets. I have used this E on 4 different violins and have found that THIS E improves the sound of the other strings compared to other E strings I have used on them with similar sets over the past decades.

My first set of PIs with the Pt E was great. Several subsequent sets I ordered with the Pt E were sent with the Ni E (even though I had ordered and paid for the Pt E) and there was no comparison after the dealer sent me (and I installed) the Pt E.

I'm reluctant to try any other E strings in the future.

September 8, 2017, 10:09 PM · I'm going to warn you that opinions on strings are highly controversial because
a. every violin is unique, and players choose to change each violin's unique traits in different ways
b. every player has individual sound/playability preferences
c. different bowing styles result in different technical needs and types of sound
d. hand perspiration can limit string choice.
September 9, 2017, 2:28 AM · Andrew - it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the new Pirastro platinum E compared to the PI. I have also found that the Pirastro platinum E improved the other strings, but I never tried the PI. At least here in Europe the Pirastro is significantly cheaper.
September 9, 2017, 4:57 AM · I do like the e, but its always a bit harsh around fith position. The Pi now dropped to the Pirastro price at some suppliers, I havent tested the Pirastro yet.
Jagar forte worked with the pi for me too. If I play Pi I usually buy the tinn after a few weeks. The platinum may be a bit nicer, but the tin works too.
September 9, 2017, 6:01 AM · platinum it is then
September 9, 2017, 8:44 AM · Full set of PI with the plat E for me. I change the whole set every three months.

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name according to the rules of Vcom.

September 9, 2017, 8:55 AM · You play the e as long as the rest?
I usually buy the same full set but change the e string every 8 weeks. The rest of the set lasts 16-20 weeks for me.
September 9, 2017, 9:27 AM · Really has to do with which one of you plays longer every day, doesn't it??
Edited: September 9, 2017, 12:08 PM · In total yes, but relative to each other is what I wonder. The e string goes of quicker than the rest off the set for me.
September 10, 2017, 4:56 AM · I change my E once a month with a variety of different brands because I think it makes the lower strings sound better and that is the main reason why I am reluctant to spend $30 on a platinum E. On the other hand, if the Platinum E does last longer it would be worth it to me. Would Heifitz be using this string?
Edited: September 10, 2017, 7:53 AM · Well, it's not a fair question to ask, as the Master was probably not one to easily change his ways. "Goldbrokat 26 only" would have likely been his answer (I find it funny how Optima brand markets these as the "Original Heifetz String.") To his defense-as if he needed any-it's an incredible option, and matches the strings he used to use quite marvelously.

The also expensive Titanium Solo E's brilliance and power lasted for a long time. Made whichever strings were on the instrument subjectively better.

I wanted to try the EP platinum last month, but it wasn't in stock at my local(s) violin shop(s), so I decided to delay the experiment for other strings. May stick with "Heifetz's choice" for a while, though. Not sure why Thomastik/Infeld charges as much for them as they do, other than players willing to pay for them (and even if they reduced the price to better match Pirastro's option, wouldn't this be confirmation of the string being overpriced?)

(To be "fair", the strings might be slightly different, as there may be 3 tensions among all of these platinum coated options.)

September 11, 2017, 4:57 AM · I was surprised to hear that some people change the E string more frequently than the other strings. I've changed the Goldbrokat E string twice in the last 4 years.

Maybe professionals spend more time playing on the E string than us amateurs? Or maybe playing in higher positions require leaning into the string more, closer to the bridge and that causes more wear?

September 11, 2017, 5:01 AM · It's dependent upon the corrosive qualities of your perspiration. Some E strings may resist your particular chemistry better than others. I used Jaeger E strings on a previous violin of mine, for instance, but they'd tarnish within 2 to 4 weeks, going false. From that perspective, the PI platinum E string, which would be fine for 6 months, was a good deal.
Edited: September 11, 2017, 5:21 AM · There is no generalisation between amateur and professional in this matter.
A professional playing in the second violinist section propably plays less than some amateurs.
The bowing area is where my e strings seem to go bad first. The goldbrokat lasts a few weeks for me.
A solist often plays a new string for every concert.
September 11, 2017, 5:49 AM · I typically go through 2 E strings for every 1 set of A-D-G strings. I like the PI Platinum E, but the Goldbrokat Optima seems to work just as well on my instruments. The platinum E did last as long as the other PI strings, I found, but the price difference still doesn't justify it for me. I picked up an EP Platinum E to try out with the next set of PIs, so we'll see how that goes.
September 11, 2017, 8:58 AM · At my last check up, my violin shop suggested the Jargar E with the rest of the PI set. I think the Jargar is higher tension, but it made a noticeable difference with improving the punch of the e string. I just installed a new set and just kept all the strings PI (felt wasteful to not use the PI E), and have really noticed the change. I will probably replace with a Jargar soon, and see what how the price of the GDA compares with the whole set. This was with the tin E, but I haven't really noticed that the platinum E was a big step up.
September 11, 2017, 9:40 AM · The Jagar is a bit more powerfull if the violin can stand the tension and it fits the PI in my opinion. For my violin its a bit of an overkill, the violin is already very loud. If I play without earplugs my left ear is stressed even hours after playing.
September 11, 2017, 4:11 PM · I'm using the Warchal Steel A and special E (the spiral one) with PI D & G and love the results I get. The whole instrument seems better balanced.
September 11, 2017, 4:26 PM · The Warchal steel A and anti whistle E has interested me for a while. Do you have a fine tuner for the A string Malcolm?
September 13, 2017, 8:38 AM · I've been using mostly the Vision solo strings along with the Pirastro E string.

I haven't been happy with the D or A in that setup. The D seems too soft and unresponsive The A is frequently out of tune in small increments on the flat side.No fine tuner on A, and my pegs are not easy to turn.

Some of the D string issues are likely the violin. I'm not overwhelmed with the Pirastro E. It hasn't let me down, but I haven't seen a real wow factor either.

How would you find out which combinations work best? This seems like either a trial and error solution or one involving threads like this one to see what others prefer.

Never tried the PI set with Platinum E. Might be my next purchase. Prices for that item swing a lot all depending on who you're buying it from.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin