Mendelssohn 5th Symphony experiences?

September 8, 2017, 6:52 AM · Do people here have experience with this symphony? Would it be doable by a casual community orchestra?

Replies (7)

September 8, 2017, 7:14 AM · You need a good wind section to be sure! Especially the last movement, based on Bach's "A Mighty Fortress is our God", is demanding.
September 8, 2017, 7:16 AM · I'm actually playing the first violin part for this with a community orchestra at the moment. It isn't that difficult, most of the technical spots are in the 1st and last movement.
Edited: September 8, 2017, 7:19 AM · Its not too hard for decent strings but playing it nicely demands a bit more on the wind section. Overall it should be possible.
Edit: wow, two answers while I type
September 8, 2017, 7:55 AM · My public high school orchestra did this, and I don't remember it being all that difficult (I was the concertmaster). We were a string orchestra + band, and so we rehearsed separately until just two rehearsals prior to the concert, I think. The winds/brass/percussion kind of wandered in casually and had no issues that I can recall, oddly enough.
September 8, 2017, 3:21 PM · I played it in a community orchestra about 10 years ago (on viola, I think, or 2nd violin - can't remember). Playable, but not without a few challenges.
September 8, 2017, 5:42 PM · Need good trumpets for a start!
September 8, 2017, 8:21 PM · Our conductor takes it at a pretty fast tempo, so it is somewhat difficult for us. But our conductor usually likes taking things faster.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music