Best E string combinations!

September 5, 2017, 1:07 AM · I'm currently using Pirastro Chromcor set with Eudoxa-Chromcor A string on my Yamaha SV-150! I'm looking for new set and quite phleasant with Passione Solo A; Oliv D silver and G! There many E strings I'm considering to balance are:
-Oliv gold plated steel ball end E. Some said it's too bright and whistling for my Soloist style!
-Pirastro No.1 Universal E!
-Goldbrokat E!
-Thomastik PE Platinum E!
Feel free to reccomend any other string! Thanks for your Brilliant Advice!
Godfrey

Replies (11)

September 5, 2017, 4:34 AM · I use almost that combo except I prefer the stiff Oliv G. The Oliv gold E is nice, but the new Evah platinum is also worth a try. I found that it makes the whole violin more responsive and fuller sounding. It has a darker sound than the gold E but still retains brilliance.
September 5, 2017, 5:05 AM · Hi Bo, I love warm, sweet and connective rather a bit out-of-law so I really satisfy with Oliv G! I don't have any information about Platinum E except it's expensive and long-lasting! Evah Gold by the way is to bright for me especially for my Electric SV-150 while I love sweetness of No.1 Universal E! So I will take in mind Evah Platinum E and No.1 Universal E!
Also my friend advices DZ Strad 301 bow, any idea about it?
Thanks gorgeous!
Godfrey
September 5, 2017, 9:06 AM · Opinions on strings are extremely controversial for several reasons.
1. Each player has different preferences/expectations for sound.
2. Each violin possesses unique traits that players choose to optimize in different ways.
3. Different bowing styles result in different types of sounds.
4. Hand perspiration issues limit a player's string choices.
Edited: September 5, 2017, 11:14 AM · I loved having Westminster E with Evah GDA (except it tarnished after a couple weeks and I had to put on the gold Evah E from the set I ordered.) I'm pretty vanilla so I usually stick with the entire set unless I'm using Dominants, in which case I'll sub out the Dominant E for Evah E.

Edit: "Tarnished" is probably more accurate--it turned black and I was really sad.

Edited: September 5, 2017, 7:08 PM · Chae - It's possible 'cause Westminster is plain steel which is easily rusted, you can use rust protector but it can change the string sound! I found that Pirastro Gold E (Oliv, Evah, Gold label) are whistling so I really prefer No.1 Universal - warm, brilliant, sweet and not whistling at all! Still considering PE Platinum and Evah Platinum!
Godfrey
September 6, 2017, 12:29 PM · Godfrey

Are you going to use the Olivs on the Yamaha? If I understand correct it's an electric violin, and maybe putting such an expensive (and non steel core) set on an electric would not make such a difference as it would if used with an acoustic violin. If that is the situation, make sure that your pickup can actually work with non steel strings.

In any case you can try the Eudoxa aluminium wound E

Cheers :)

September 6, 2017, 3:07 PM · I didn't know it was an electric violin. In that case I would not use such expensive strings. I use tonica on my Yamaha electric.
Edited: September 6, 2017, 5:25 PM · One string that is really worth trying is the newish Dominant tin-coated carbon steel E. It's not like any of the normal Dom Es--usually it gives a thicker, rounder sound, and also changes the other strings in a nice way. Worth a try. We use it a lot, and it almost always works well.
September 6, 2017, 10:41 PM · Hermesa - Yes, I used the Pirastro Chromcor set with Eudoxa-Chromcor A string and it's good but not brilliant enough for me! My SV-150 can play some Acoustic style and its tonal characters rely on its strings and bow rather than itself! Thanks for your concern!
Michael - Can you tell me how it sounds, I've never used any Dominant string!
September 7, 2017, 4:52 AM · @Godfrey, if you want something brilliant then maybe the Vision E?

Edited: September 7, 2017, 7:29 AM · I'm using the dominant ADG with the Evah Pirazzi E. It seems pretty balanced to me. Anyone used the Hill E?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music