"Genius" Violin Concerto

Edited: September 4, 2017, 5:47 PM · Hello Fellow colleagues, students and violin fans!

My name is Stefan Smith and I'm a professional composer for Film, TV and Video Games based in LA who also happens to be a tenured member of the viola section of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. After speaking with the editor of this great site, Laurie Niles, I was recommended to post this here as she enjoyed the work as well:

There is a competition for the National Geographic Show "Genius" in which Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe wrote the theme music to. We were asked to listen to the original cue (can be heard at this link: Original Genius Theme ) and create our own version. Since Einstein was a violinist, I decided to compose a cue called the "Genius Violin Concerto" and I would love to let you hear it! I'm also playing the violin solo (BE WARNED: I'm a pure-bred violist and literally did one take as I have many deadlines since this was a passion project lol).

Please take a listen and if you like it, click the heart shaped "like" button on the website, share it with your friends, etc as today is the last day to submit votes! It would be a fantastic opportunity for me as a composer!

Listen to the "Genius Violin Concerto" cue here: Genius Violin Concerto

Cheers to more music creation, thanks for your support and Happy Labor Day!

- Stefan L. Smith

Replies (7)

September 4, 2017, 6:24 PM · Ok ,

ill just say it ,

the bass is overbearing , really overbearing and in some parts its like youre playing something and the orchestra is playing a different piece , that ruined the immersion a bit .

i do appreciate the variety of bowings .

ps im a composer too but i never touched orchestral pieces lol

September 4, 2017, 6:37 PM · I enjoyed listening to it. Thanks for posting! I did click Like, too. :-)
September 4, 2017, 9:12 PM · I really enjoyed it as well, and the balance seemed fine on my headphones :)
Edited: September 4, 2017, 9:36 PM · Hello Stefan!

I'm assuming you're looking for feedback beyond just 'I liked this'..

I won't comment on the playing (Better than I could do by far!), but rather the piece.

What I liked:
The included introduction, and what came right after it
The general tone of the work
The solo line - esp. around 00:57-1:10 and 1:10-1:15
I rather liked the bass/line balance.

What I didn't like:
The keyboard during the first time the solo line cuts out - it's just quiet enough to make it hard to hear. When it is introduced near the end I think it is better balanced, although the entire piece has picked up in volume at this point.

I also didn't like the sudden end, but that is a restraint of the original cue.

...I liked it!

September 4, 2017, 10:11 PM · Thanks for listening everyone and for the feedback :) it was a rushed project but that's Hollywood! Lol ;)
Edited: September 5, 2017, 2:01 AM · I think it is composed very nicely. It is of course a very driving bass section, Zimmermann would like it too I guess.
The introduction is great to be aware to follow the solo violin instead of just feeling rythm everywhere.
When it comes to playing, you are sometimws slightly of beat (esp in those complex rythms when going downwards) which in this particular piece is very visible, I think this is where Ahmeds comment came from. The violin does match the orchestra on paper at those "problemtic" bars perfectly, if I understood it correctly.
Overall I enjoyd listening and would be interested in a long version.
As opposed to what has been said before, I like the little "fight" for being the solist between violin and piano.
September 5, 2017, 6:18 AM · Stefan, I also enjoyed it very much, and very well played for a quickie!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin