Gewa air case dent

September 1, 2017, 6:13 AM · Just got a Gewa Oblong Air case (white gloss), and for those who own the same case as mine, I was wondering how it is for you for long-term usage.
Were there many dents on the case?

Thanks.

Replies (8)

September 1, 2017, 6:57 AM · It dents quite easily since the outer shell is pretty thin. I can link a picture later of a pretty noticeable dent on mine near the strap attachment from the rucksack clip jamming into it.
Edited: September 2, 2017, 3:01 AM · When I read the title of the thread I thought GEWA has come out with a correctly named new model. The GEWA AIR DENT, similar to the BAM HIGHTECH SCRATCHED.

Don't worry about the dent. All the scratches you will very quickly acquire on the shiny plastic surface will hide any dents. Alternatively, you could send it back and get a more protective plywood case...

BTW, I believe GEWA is an acronym of German Extrusions (made) Without Artistry. This may class as false advertising, as many of their models are made in China. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If you want to see a stunning case, and not a robot made plastic case, go the the other current discussion on GEWA cases. Scroll down to Lydia's post and click on the link to her Enigma case.

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name in accordance with Vcom's rules.

September 1, 2017, 5:46 PM · Unless you take a hammer to it, you won't see dents!
September 1, 2017, 7:55 PM · As I promised, here's a picture of the dent on mine. Image is a little blurry and it's not as obvious on camera, but the dent is between the lock and the strap attachment ring.

https://imgur.com/nfXAD9i

It does scratch if you scrape it with something hard like metal, but it's not like gelcoat which actually chips off. As you can see the black powdercoat on the lock itself has worn away.

September 1, 2017, 9:30 PM · Nice dent Jeff, do you mind sharing how it happened? If no damage resulted to the instrument, it looks like the case did its job actually (if the hardware is any indication, it looks like it's a well used case). I'd venture to guess that it took perhaps more than a little bump though, this case feels rather rigid.
September 1, 2017, 9:34 PM · It was probably one of those freak incidents where the rucksack clip got stuck at just the right angle when I was doing one of my low-tech crush tests (i.e. take my stuff out of the case and then stand on the case). There's no puncture and the interior has no mark.
September 1, 2017, 9:41 PM · OK tx I feel better, not your everyday scenario :-)
Edited: September 2, 2017, 2:31 AM · If the case exterior got dented and the inside is still OK, that means it absorbed an impact or pressure without transferring it to the instrument. In other words, it did its job - that's the therory behind the crumple zones. Sacrificing the case to save the contents.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin