Learning the violin in 1 month & Filming the proess

September 1, 2017, 4:37 AM · I wanted to set myself a challenge to see how much I could learn in 1 month. I filmed the whole process including my "finale" piece. Still much more to learn but I'd love to share this video with you.

https://youtu.be/DeUrqy5kmOI

Replies (5)

September 1, 2017, 5:52 AM · As someone with more than 20 years of lessons on the violin, and having been (not finished) at the conservatory, I am impressed by your progress.
I mean there is really a lot lot to still learn,but yet alone the intonation is not often found after this short amount of time.
If you plan to go on, I still suggest getting a teacher, there are flaws building up. ;)

The initial bow problem is a good example for the problems of those cheaper sets. I dont understand how a shop, even this kind of, failes to pre rosin the bow...

September 1, 2017, 10:02 AM · First of all, congratulations for starting to learn the violin. It's a great instrument.
The first thing I noticed was that your violin seemed to be tuned a semitone too low. In terms of tone production, I would work on using more bow, perhaps leaning on the bow and letting your arm's natural energy push the bow into the strings, rather than pressing on it with the hands and fingers. In addition, your bow changes could be smoother, perhaps you should develop a more flexible and relaxed bow hold.
September 2, 2017, 12:14 PM · maybe I'll learn snowboarding next, I'll leave the violin at home though
September 3, 2017, 4:32 AM · Welcome Maxwell,
You certainly have a natural talent for the instrument. Do you have a teacher?
September 4, 2017, 12:29 PM · I wonder roughly how much time he was putting in each day?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music