Gliga Gama vs Eastman Young Master

August 31, 2017, 7:52 AM · I've been planning to buy a violin for a while now and it has come down to either a Gliga Gama or an Eastman Young master

If you have heard either of these then tell me what you think of it and if one of them is "better"

Replies (22)

Edited: August 31, 2017, 6:47 PM · I don't know much about the Eastman Young master, but I suspect they are both going to be acceptable quality for their price.

I have a preference for Gliga's because I've had good experience's with them and like a darker sounding instrument. I suspect the Eastman will be the brighter of the two.

I'm also not sure how the Eastman will arrive out of the box - this will depend on where you buy it - but if you are buying the Gliga new it's going to need it's setup adjusted.

Try and find one of each local and give it a try, and ask your teacher.

To make matters more complicated, there are significant variance between any two instruments from a 'brand', so while I might be able to say 'X is better than Y', that is only a generalization because each instrument will be different.

Finally, if this is your first violin and you have never played before, consider renting. There is no guarantee you'll stick with it and if you don't you're going to lose a significant amount of money that you don't need to lose.

September 3, 2017, 5:01 AM · Thanks for your response,

This is not my first violin. I've been renting a violin from my music school for about 6 years now and I'm fed up with it. It's super bright and got no complexity at all.

The other problem is that I don't have any music shops nearby that sell violins. So I have to order online.

I'm planning to order from a Site called Omegamusic.co.uk
Have anyone ordered from this site and is it any good. Do they do a good setup before shipping?

I'm starting to lean toward the Gliga because a prefer a darker tone and I've seen multiple people saying that it is the darker of the two.

September 3, 2017, 9:49 AM · Agree that Gligas are darker, but Eastmans have a well-rounded sound, too. They're not overly brilliant, and are, in fact, quite mellow tonally.
September 3, 2017, 10:58 AM · If at all possible, do not mail order a violin. That will, IMHO, have about as much chance of success as a mail order bride. You have to kiss a lot of frogs both in the violin world and the real...

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name in accordance with Vcom's rules for posters.

September 3, 2017, 5:05 PM · I have tried multiple Gligas at the NAMM trade show (early, so I could hear myself). I don't recall which models, but they were tip of the line. I was very unimpressed. Eastman's, even their premium line (above your price range, I think ) are factory made, and usually varnished/setup in the USA. I preferred the Eastmans by a wide margin. I would recommend trying a few different violins (not necessarily Eastman) from a dealer that would ship 1 -2 for trial, if you aren't near a local dealer. IMHO, well worth the cost of shipping back a few times to find the one you like. Also, likely more bang for the buck if you buy older violins versus new factory. Isn't there the equivalent of a Shar where you are?
September 3, 2017, 9:55 PM · I tried several Gligas and found them to be dark with little complexity. I once heard a video demonstration of a Gliga, and it sounded pretty good. Maybe the higher-end models will sound nicer because they have more complexity, but I'd say I'm not a huge Gliga fan. Overall, I have found Eastmans to be quite nice.
September 3, 2017, 10:15 PM · I tried 3 gliga's a while back and they were the ones around 1-2k. I'm no expert, but I personally hated all of them. They sounded just like my cheapo $300 dollar student violin I had at the time. Very metallic sounding and the timbre was not even across the strings. Could have just been a bad batch, but that was my experience.
September 4, 2017, 3:24 AM · I own a Gliga Gama, and here is my two cents.

Overall my Gliga has a darker and thicker sound than an Eastman of comparable price.

I can't say whether a Gliga is better or worse than an Eastman, but I love this Gliga and the sound it produces, and I would recommend it to anyone starting on violin study.

September 4, 2017, 7:04 AM · Where on the scale of 1 - 10 would you put the Eastmans? 1 being dark, 10 being bright and 5 being neutral?
September 4, 2017, 7:46 AM · Martin I'll need some time to look them up but remember that certain setups change the sound. Ebony darker sound, less distance to the tailpiece darker etc
September 4, 2017, 8:30 AM · Those rules sometimes apply, sometimes fail badly.
September 4, 2017, 8:34 AM · I know that small changes can make a big difference, I'm just asking for your experience.
September 4, 2017, 10:23 AM · I would say that topics like this are extremely controversial because each player's expectations and preferences for sound are different. Plus, every violin is unique.
September 4, 2017, 6:12 PM · Sorry for the delayed reply - I'm pretty inactive on the weekends.

If you've been playing (and renting) for six years there are two things I think you need to do.

1. Contact who you are renting from and see if they have a program where your rental fees can be applied towards a purchase. Some places do this.

2. Try places that will send higher end instruments to you on approval. These instruments are fine if you are on a tight 1K budget, but if you can afford to spend more and have been a diligent student for the last 6 years, you are likely at a level where you will feel constrained by these models unless you luck out and get one of the very good ones, and they are quite uncommon. Unless you are in a position to try 20 of them and pick the best of the bunch, you should look outside the 'brand name' world.

While they are both quite good instruments, if you're willing to spend more there are much better options that will better suit your playing capabilities.

September 4, 2017, 6:15 PM · also look for unknown makers :)) , there are a lot of jewels out there , good luck
September 4, 2017, 6:20 PM · OK i just listened to the eastman young master , its bad , honestly really bad for that price , my Sandner Cv-6 sounded better when i first started .

wow that was bad

i feel like im going to lose my mind , i already said what i thought u should do within this price range , Factory violins are not GOOD , its like gambling .

reconsider your purchase and look for other violins .

honestly the fiddlerman concert violin sounds better than the eastman and that says a lot about eastmans quality .

ok im done , i dont want to get riled up even further XD

im pissed because i want you to have a goodviolin and not spend your money on something that will piss u off

September 4, 2017, 8:31 PM · I have to disagree with Ahmed, unfortunately, but this is a controversial discussion, anyway. I have had very good experiences with Eastmans in general (never tried/heard of Young Master before other than from this thread), but Ahmed may have just come across a bad violin. I will accept your opinion because
1. this is a very controversial discussion and
2. every violin is different.
September 4, 2017, 11:14 PM · In this price range I think a decent antique Stradivari made in Germany would be a better sounding instrument.
September 5, 2017, 12:53 AM · I would go for an old saxony too.
Edited: September 5, 2017, 1:42 PM · -Michael McGrath

As for the rental program you mentioned. I can't do that because I'm renting from my music school (It's is not privately owned, The state runs it) So that isn't a possability

When you mentioned that a violin for around 1k would make me feel "constrained."

Around what price range would you say that you could reliably get a less constraining violin? Would it be 1.2k, 1.5k or even 2k

September 5, 2017, 1:48 PM · At my shop, about $1500, but my prices are fairly low.
September 5, 2017, 1:52 PM · I've never tried an Eastman, but I have both a Gliga violin and viola. We have a small Gliga shop nearby so each time I was able to try a lot of instruments and pick the one I liked best. I couldn't imagine buying an instrument sight unseen.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music