Violin string

Edited: August 25, 2017, 4:45 PM · My 4 violin bows slip and slide ONLY on the "A" string. Does anyone know why this happens. Two luthiers have no idea. I have been using the same make for years. They are Pirastro Tonica. This happened after I bought the last set 3 months ago. I use the usual amount of the same resin that I have used for years. Sometimes cleaning the strings with a soft cloth helps for a few hours of practising. I have been playing since I was 11. I am 83 now.
Thanks
Dr. Terry Carscadden MD
Sudbury Ontario Canada

Replies (11)

Edited: August 25, 2017, 5:24 PM · Terry,

Could be a few things, apart from the string itself....
. bow not re-haired recently
.. bow angle (not parallel with bridge)
... violin tilt
.... sting surface oily (clean it with rubbing alcohol)
..... dare I say, the player?

Contact me if you happen to come To Ron To. Will be glad to meet you.

R

Edited: August 26, 2017, 5:50 AM · Try a grippier rosin and keep an eye on your bowing angle.

I'm your age too and my bowing has gone to pot in recent years.

If you are doing most of your playing sitting down try standing up to see if that changes some of your bowing angles.
You might also try tilting your violin a little differently to see if that cures the A string problem and maybe transfers it to an alternate string.
Try holding the whole frog of the bow to see if that changes things.
Try cleaning the strings with alcohol.

If any of these things help - you can try to come up with a more adequate permanent fix.

August 25, 2017, 8:58 PM · This is very interesting. I have a friend who has been using Tonica strings and the A string always breaks fast. Now he switched to other strings because no one knows why only the A string breaks so easily.
August 27, 2017, 4:39 PM · Strange. I've been using Tonicas for awhile and have never had an issue.

I hope you get it resolved.

Edited: August 28, 2017, 1:21 PM · Same here!!

Tonicas are the best thing going in the affordable string market IMHO

August 28, 2017, 3:44 PM · I agree. Never had a problem with them.
August 28, 2017, 9:55 PM · I agree to both points beeing made. I often dislike Pirastro a strings. They (most synthetics by Pirastro despite Obligato) are often a bit brighter than d / g and on some violins they can feel a bit broken when settled in, but they are not. Its more a problem of the violin that can be exposed by Tonikas.
September 4, 2017, 12:09 PM · Hi I'm currently using Pirastro Chromcor with eudoxa-chromcor A string on Yamaha SV-150! I'm considering new strings set with :
-Considering between Pirastro Oliv E String - Medium Gauge - Gold-plated Steel - Ball End and Pirastro No.1 Universal E-string!
-Pirastro Passione Solo A string!
-G string considering between Passione Solo G string sterling silver and Oliv G string and Obligato G string
-D string considering between Passione Solo D string silver and Oliv D string Silver and Obligato D string Silver!
1. So should I go forth Aluminum or Silver D string?
2. Are Oliv and Passione Solo too bright for my SV - 150, 'cause Evah is too bright for me and some of my friends suggest I should go for Obligatos?!
Thanks for your brilliant advices!
September 8, 2017, 2:04 PM ·
September 8, 2017, 5:39 PM · The SV-150 is the electric "Silent Violin", isn't it? Consider getting strings designed for electrics.
September 8, 2017, 7:49 PM · Good comments from many people. I have changed resin, bow rehaired 6 months ago, made sure the bow is parallel to the bridge, and cleaned the string with alcohol. I bought a Tomastik A 2 weeks ago and so far it is fine. Three months ago Pirastro sent me anew Tonica and an Evah. Same problem. I have used Tonicas for at least 25 years! At first I thought it was me then a friend who is a well known and respected violist said "it is not you. It is either the string or the violin". After I have practised for an hour when the bow starts to slide I wipe the string with a soft cloth and I am good for another hour. So far I haven't had to do this with the Vision. I suspect I need to find a sound physicist!
Cheers

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins