Hey what happened to v.com mascot?

Edited: August 25, 2017, 1:09 AM · It seems the little guy with the chronic slouchys has disappeared with the last eclipse. I miss him already.

Replies (44)

August 25, 2017, 1:06 AM · I thought the new chap looked different - maybe I'm not going crazy after all?
August 25, 2017, 4:31 AM · Same dreads but (s)he apparently switched to a Russian violin teacher because his/her scroll is very high now!
Edited: August 25, 2017, 4:36 AM · To me the new kid playing to the stars looks like a little gal. She's growing on me already.

Edit: Paul, I like your gender neutral attribution to our new Russian schooled superstar. S/He ain't no slouch.

August 25, 2017, 12:38 PM · Obviously, Kokopelli there gave up using a shoulder rest, and is rejoicing in the newfound freedom!
August 25, 2017, 12:43 PM · I think he's got to Lesson Two and is now allowed to hold the violin...
August 25, 2017, 12:48 PM · Ahhh... never made the connection. Thanks Craig. I guess it took over 10 years to get rid of those pesky flute habits.
Edited: August 25, 2017, 2:02 PM · But we know Kokopelli went back to the moon last eclipse, so now it must be Kokopelmimi who presides over us.
August 25, 2017, 1:52 PM · Auer made him take off the shoulder rest
Edited: August 29, 2017, 1:39 PM · No evidence of a chin rest either, so he's now discovered the most efficient way to support the violin.

Been there. Done it.

August 26, 2017, 4:29 AM · ... also using Bellissimo dark rosin!
August 26, 2017, 6:51 AM · Koko has been promoted to the top of the page, giving a cue, leading the section, giving the downbeat!
Edited: August 26, 2017, 8:00 AM · Hahahaha, what a wonderful thread, beautiful replies.
August 26, 2017, 8:23 AM · Koko's SR and CR have now been sorted, which leaves only the question of what strings are, or should be, on the violn. That should keep this thread alive at least until carbon fiber strings are on the scene.
August 26, 2017, 8:34 AM · Cool! So it's the moment of possiblity and promise, composure and commitment, mustering and anticipation.

Laurie, you must tell us the story of Koko and you!

August 26, 2017, 1:05 PM · Is Koko playing "world music" or what?
August 26, 2017, 1:17 PM · Paul, what was the inspiration for that question?
Edited: August 26, 2017, 3:58 PM · I found Koko in the southwest U.S., while I was living in Colorado. Koko, a Native American, had been playing the flute for about 2.000 years and was a little curious when I showed him my fiddle. (I think he was in a bit of a rut, to be honest - that's a long time to play the flute.) "You should learn to play it, I bet you would be great!" I said. That is when I put a fiddle in his hands, and as you can see, he really took to it. I have been pestering him about that posture for some time, and it appears that my persistence has paid off. Through V.com he has been exposed to a diverse mix of music, so he plays a great variety of music from many cultures and genres, depending on his mood.
August 26, 2017, 6:32 PM · Kokopelli and Kokopelmimi had a child, Rococo, perhaps?
August 26, 2017, 7:28 PM · Ummm...it appears that either Koko has switched to viola, or he's a child trying to play on the next size up. Just saying.
August 26, 2017, 7:50 PM · Either Koko is very very small, or that's a viola. I'm leaning towards the latter and that it's a viola in the belief that Koko is a sensible kind of person. :)

Neil

August 26, 2017, 9:04 PM · Well, Kokopeli traditionally plays flute...
August 26, 2017, 9:16 PM · It's the same fiddle he's always had, but if you'd like to think of it as a viola, you may! (He plays both)
Edited: August 27, 2017, 6:54 AM · I just noticed that Koko is not playing with flat bow hair. Look at the tip. Very tilted! What I can't figure out is why the screw is coming out the bottom of the frog. It would only look like that if he were playing col legno.
August 27, 2017, 8:36 AM · What I first notice is that Koko has thicker hair now and a viola bow to match.
August 27, 2017, 10:33 AM · The way the bouts are cut it's definitely not an Italian violin. Probably a late 19th-century German trade instrument ...
August 27, 2017, 1:01 PM · Puliz it's obviously a viola de gamba look at the bouts!
August 27, 2017, 1:40 PM · Viola da gamba? - must be gut strings then! (Had to get that one in!)
August 27, 2017, 1:51 PM · LOL people too much scrutiny, poor Koko!
August 27, 2017, 1:51 PM · His flute was nothing more than a stick!
August 27, 2017, 3:08 PM · Laurie, flute geeks just don't measure up.
August 27, 2017, 3:53 PM · Whew! I'm glad it's hair.

I thought Koko had a rubber surgical glove on his head. I was worried it could cut off the circulation to his brain.

August 27, 2017, 4:20 PM · Being a deity, and a tricksy one at that, I'm sure Koko can conjure whatever equipment he wishes for any style of music that pleases his whimsy. I think he must've commissioned a Gilles Nehr bow though, a new one off model, hefty and fecund.
Edited: August 28, 2017, 4:09 PM · Goodness, Timothy, I'm not going to tell him that you thought his hair was a surgical glove! (Honestly, though, being from ancient times, he might not really understand the reference). Be kind to our little joyful friend!
Edited: August 28, 2017, 11:26 PM · Laurie, I always figured the mascot was a stylized silhouette of you from the gap year you took busking before conservatory;) Weren't dreadlocks in back then?
August 29, 2017, 6:55 AM · Nothing so stylish, it was all bad perms, I'm afraid!
August 30, 2017, 6:22 AM · Laurie, it must've been your calming influence, or the daunting task of learning the fiddle, or both, that changed his wild ways...
August 30, 2017, 9:53 AM · This reminds me of the time I decided on a mascot for one of my websites. It involved a hound dog and some studio headphones. The hound dog was a fairly good subject after a treat or two. Koko looks much easier to manage.

In the case of Koko though. I'm glad he's around. It would be sad to say "No Mo Koko". :0)>

August 30, 2017, 1:10 PM · Our family dog is called Coco.
August 30, 2017, 4:53 PM · More on Kokopelli.
August 30, 2017, 6:23 PM · I like the pictures where it looks like pinocchio is playing his own nose.
August 31, 2017, 11:11 AM · @Trevor, That's a cool name. I have two dogs. Small Yorkies I named "zig" and "zag". I sometimes think maybe I should have called them the Caca team.

@Laurie This is interesting information.Thanks for sharing. Primitive cultures had some unique ways of looking at the world. I suspect this may have been based on an actual person.

August 31, 2017, 1:43 PM · Kokopelli has some features in common with the god Pan of Greek antiquity, and with the god Loki of Norse mythology, although there are nowhere near enough features in common to support a viable argument for a cultural identity between Koko and Pan or between Koko and Loki, other than the usual cultural features common to all three ancient civilizations (and many others).
August 31, 2017, 1:44 PM · @Timothy, Coco is a 2-year old cocker spaniel, very lively, playful and bright. She is with the Belgium side of the family and so when they come over to England or we go over there I have to talk to her in dog Flemish to get any useful response out of her!
August 31, 2017, 3:42 PM · Paul, it's comments like that that made him want to switch to the fiddle!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin