Is this real or fake Dominant Strings

August 24, 2017, 4:17 PM · Hi,

I bought a set of strings on eBay which includes G, D, A Dominant and a Pirastro Gold Label E for around 50 Australian dollars from a dealer with 99.5% something ratings.

However after these strings were used for 3 months, the Dominant strings left white silver-like mark on the finger board (see picture).

I would like to ask, whether this is normal for Thomastik Dominant string or that they are fake ones.

I would be very grateful if someone could help identify this :-)

Direct link:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/78605588@N03/48Ne7p
https://flic.kr/p/WP58k2

IMG_0049" alt="strings" style="width:128px;height:128px;">

Replies (15)

August 24, 2017, 4:57 PM · People will probably want to see the windings.

How much feedback did he have? 99.5% is great if you have 100+ transactions, but could be pretty sketchy if you have 10.

And in no way am I trying to be sassy saying this - but could it have something to do with you placing your violin in front of the heater?

August 24, 2017, 5:05 PM · No this happened long before the heater stuff :-) yes the ratings are based on a pretty large sample of ratings.
August 24, 2017, 5:07 PM · They're probably real if enough people are buying from him and not giving negative feedback.

I've had similar things happen before - I'm honestly not sure what causes it. In all honesty I've never used dominants, and I don't really play violin, viola strings usually have different colours on the windings.

Hope someone of more use pops in for you :)

August 24, 2017, 5:17 PM · Thanks Michael! :-))
August 24, 2017, 11:10 PM · I cant tell by those pictures if they are real at all, but that does happen with genui strings too.
August 24, 2017, 11:11 PM · Marc,

Do you happen to know what causes it?

August 25, 2017, 2:20 AM · In the past I bought very, very cheap strings and learned to wipe them with a tissue because of all the black oil left on the strings. On more expensive strings they clean the strings and the white powder can be the residue of the cleaning process. But I'm just guessing.
Edited: August 31, 2017, 7:03 AM · Price is about right, strings look ok. Clean your fingerboard every day when you have finished playing and you won't have marks.

Cheers Carlo

Posted under my own full name in accordance with Vcom's rules.

August 25, 2017, 4:42 AM · Ugh had to login again.

Oh look it's willy.

The strings are fine. The residue is there even on dominants. Superflexible strings etc...

Don't ask why. Lazy.

If u want definitive proof that they're there go look at Hilary Hahns fingers on Instagram after installing new strings. So much gray.

I clean them a lot. I like my calluses clean thank you very much

August 25, 2017, 4:54 AM · Michael, I can only guess.
August 25, 2017, 4:57 AM · Low action?
August 25, 2017, 5:25 PM · Thank you Carlo for your advice :-)

OMG look it's Mr Ahmed Taweel! How it's going?

At least now I can rest assured that these aren't the marks left by fake strings. Thanks everyone!

August 25, 2017, 9:03 PM · on my first violin this happened to me even with good strings. Its normal dont worry too much about it just clean it off
August 26, 2017, 2:03 AM · Dominant A and D are wound with aluminium, which leaves marks.
Note how the G in the photo does not: it is silver-wound.
Simple as that!
August 26, 2017, 2:46 AM · Use gut strings problem solved

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins