Post ing videos

August 22, 2017, 5:10 PM · Wouldn't it be great if we could upload videos to our blogs here? By upload, I don't mean provide a link to a YouTube video. I'm wary about posting anything on YouTube. I feel like they've practically got a monopoly, and that's not healthy in my opinion. Any thoughts on this?

Replies (9)

August 22, 2017, 5:15 PM · I bet v.com isn't prepared to handle the bandwidth or the administrative burden. If you can't upload a simple photo, then videos are right out.
August 22, 2017, 5:29 PM · >I'm wary about posting anything on YouTube. I feel like they've practically got a monopoly, and that's not healthy in my opinion.

You could upload the video to dailymotion, metacafe or another website that host videos

August 22, 2017, 6:51 PM · And there are plenty of sites that will host videos for a fee. (The general rule of thumb is, "If you're not the customer, you're the product." In other words, if it's free to you, you're the product.)

I don't think v.com should go through the trouble or expense of hosting videos when there are so many other options available.

August 22, 2017, 9:37 PM · Yeah Lydia, you're right. I'll design my own personal website. I don't know why I waste my energy on here anyway.
August 22, 2017, 9:39 PM · I guess I'm "the product" as you say. Not any more.

Ciao.

Edited: August 22, 2017, 9:53 PM · Benjamin,

Isn't this a little extreme in relation to what was said? Bandwidth and data storage on a server are expensive.

It is reasonable that Vcom doesn't host video content. They might make it easier to imbed videos by giving a WYSIWYG editor, but hosting likely isn't feasible on their current infrastructure.

What Lydia was referring to wasn't to dehumanize you - more that for a site like youtube the end user generates more revenue than the website expends by viewing ads and uploading their own content, which then has ads attached to it. In this way you are the product. In the case of Vcom, we accept that by viewing the content we also view the adds that Laurie has selected to be published on the site, and thus helping or covering the hosting expenses in that way. When we are active, we generate more interest and conversation and that causes more traffic, therefore more people view the ads and it becomes a more enticing location to advertise.

edited to correct my lack of English at 2am.

Edited: August 22, 2017, 10:09 PM · You can post anything you put on youtube or vimeo, etc., just use the embed code, but no, we don't host video on the site.
August 22, 2017, 10:16 PM · I do confess to a nefarious plan, Benjamin: I'm trying to exploit everyone's enthusiasm for the violin in order to get more people addicted to the violin, all over the world....MUHAHAHAHAHA!
August 23, 2017, 1:47 PM · (Then Cremonus will convert you all to the viola!)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music