Violin bow by August Rau

August 21, 2017, 7:56 AM · I'm currently trying out a violin bow by August Rau. It is silver mounted in very good condition and is made out of fine pernambuco. The asking price is 3800 euro's. Is this to much for a bow by this maker? Can't find any of his bows online that went for prices like this.

Replies (11)

August 21, 2017, 8:51 AM · Do you like this bow? Could you try some more bows and pick an affordable favourite?
August 21, 2017, 10:28 AM · Its not exactly cheap, but I have seen them in this area before.
Edited: August 22, 2017, 9:04 AM · Rau worked for Knopf and Weichold. He is considered to be a maker of fine bows. I have sold a couple and have one here presently.
The price is not out of line with the best of the Ag mounted bows of his that I have seen.
As for price as a whole, he was a professionally trained bow maker and I don't see why his bows should sell for less that a living master. Differentiation between workshop and "by" is required, though.
August 21, 2017, 11:57 AM · Don't know him but i know my luthier Pascal Camurat `)
August 21, 2017, 12:40 PM · I sold one of Jacques Camurat's 3/4 sized violins. Lovely fiddle.
Edited: August 22, 2017, 5:03 AM · Years ago I had a Rau with someone but we patched things up. Oh wait - that's ROW! :-)

Seriously, I did really have a Rau long ago which I liked a lot. Make sure to get some expert eyes on it.

August 22, 2017, 10:13 AM · Duane.

Jaques died....

His sons were devastated.
I called him last year and nonchalantly asked ca va which you should do if the person doesn't recognize you xD he said no he wasn't doing well lol.

Pascal doesn't make a lot of money.

Net revenue 7k a year. This is public domain knowledge so I'm not breaking any rules.

His violins are incredibly gorgeous with a very nice sound. Amati models. He wouldn't admit that he had an amati haha

The bows are his thing now. Over 1k bows made. He's a master luthier they'll survive. :)

I'll get one one day

Edited: August 22, 2017, 10:00 PM · August Rau trained and worked for Nurnberger before setting his own workshop in the late 19th century. He makes nice octagonal bows in the Tourte style with 20th century influence. That price seems ok if the bow is in very good condition, and I think they can be comparable to a good Nurnberger and at times surpass them on an individual example basis.

On a side note, I have a gold mounted example on the 58 gram side that's available.

August 23, 2017, 5:17 AM · Ha! Mine was also gold-mounted and about that weight! Maybe you have my old bow!
August 25, 2017, 3:31 PM · Fine bows can certainly be that expensive, and far more, depending on the bow, the maker, and the certificate. My first question would be: do you love the bow? Does it draw a good tone on your instrument? How does it feel in the hand? Is it capable of playing all the required types of strokes from frog to tip? If "no" to any of these questions, then keep looking. But if you love the bow and it can be proven to be from that maker (there are plenty of fakes with all makers' stamps) then the cost is what it is.
August 26, 2017, 1:12 AM · I think if someone askes for the value of a bow of a specific maker he knows he likes his playability in the given price class (which is mid range in this case). It is not the worst idea to adk for its monetary value neglecting the maker, because thats what the insurence will pay and also thats what you get if you sell it again.
If I really like a bow, I usually look into a bow tax too, to make sure I will be able to sell it again without huge losses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin