How to play those harmonics from Kayser...???

August 21, 2017, 6:02 AM · Hi, everyone!

This is Kayser No.29.

In the edition I played 20 years ago, there were no harmonics in this piece at all. However, in this other edition, there are some harmonics (circled in red) and I am quite confused how I should play these notes.
Because I would not expect a student at Kayser level to play artificial harmonics in third and fifth.
And I even don't know how to play a harmonics placed under a note!!

So... Does anyone know how to play it?
Please help me out!!!!

Replies (12)

August 21, 2017, 6:08 AM · Yes here to help
August 21, 2017, 6:11 AM · Let me get the explanation on harmonics i wrote on Ray chens video :looking for the reply button haha , ok so , for those in fourths ( take the g string) , open string G then third finger slightly touching C , so thats a fourth away , will give you the G 2 octaves higher , so the G on the E string in first position . so in fourths its always the note on the bottom that goes 2 octaves higher . If i press on A and slightly touch the D ( on the same string ) i get what? i get the A 2 octaves higher :) . In most paganini pieces youll see the harmonics writing so with the losanges in white and their meaning or effect on another staff :) . ( Auer recommends practicing until the B on the E string because beyond that its out of the violin range , but u can still do it.)

Ok so thats for fourths now for fifths
so again take G , fifth is D , put your finger slightly on D and that gives you a D AN OCtaveHIGER ONLY :) .
so lets take the harmonics [passage from la fille aux cehveux de lin from debussy , it wil have Apressed , E slightly pressed ,give you? E an octave higher so E open string :) , has to be a perfect fifth obviously .

For diminished fourths, so A and Csharp , give you the upper not 2 OCTAVES HIGHER ( dont ask why this instrument is a devil ) so Csharp , third pos on the E string 3rd finger .

same goes for them on open strings , G with B( natural ) gives you B 2 octaves higher , same goes for other strings as long as you transpose in fifths , there are some books that say that B flat works,but honestly i havent seen it much .

Now for the commplicated ones ( yes this wasnt complicated enough )
but i must say artificial harmonics are like secrets ,so weird , its never clear when u look it up :P but you can find them :) .

ok so open string , G , fingerslightly on E :) yes E, gives you..... B , the same one as the open string G and B slightly pressed, transpose into fifth and youll get the oeffect for the others .

THATS FOR ARTIFICALS , xd

naturals are easy :) dont worry about them .
The trick with artificals and naturals is simple , if its clear then its right :)

August 21, 2017, 6:12 AM · Hi Happy,

Those diamond notes are for preparation (place fingers ahead of time) and preservation (leave fingers on after placing,) for training an aspect of left hand function. See also this thread:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=357

August 21, 2017, 6:17 AM · Well at least let me finish what i was saying xD

U have to find the right place for the finger. Fourths are easy. Fifths require some stretching but those thirds...... I can't. Just can't.

But to be fair some things written are impossible. There is not artificial harmonic on the B flat.

And the one with G and B flat ie the last one doesn't exist.

Your version surely has issues.

August 21, 2017, 6:18 AM · Jeewon obviously. Well. Whoever wrote it should be hung in the name of musical notation he almost or she gave me a stroke
August 21, 2017, 7:52 AM · Jeewon is correct; those are not harmonics. Those are simple showing you where to place your finger for the next note in preparation. You should be placing your finger on both strings-on the note as well as on the diamond which will get you ready for the next note.
August 21, 2017, 8:18 AM · Mary-Ellen this is my first time seeing this notation. Do you know when it started appearing?
Edited: August 21, 2017, 9:40 AM · This notation for note preparation has been around for over a century. You can see it in the 1915 edition of the Kayser etudes, published by G. Schirmer. It's explained in the instructional text at the beginning of the book, right before the first etude begins:

Notes marked <> indicate place for "preparatory finger," and should not be sounded. The length of the lines following finger-marks indicate the time during which fingers should retain their places.

These are not a printing error or notation error, and they are not fingered harmonics.

August 21, 2017, 9:48 AM · They would've made for a more interesting piece tho ;)
August 21, 2017, 12:29 PM · A fingered harmonic is any harmonic that you've given the finger.
August 21, 2017, 9:59 PM · Paul-___-
August 22, 2017, 5:54 AM · Wow, thank you all so much!! Especially Jeewon and Ahmed;-)
Now I'm relieved!!!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music