Violin identification and appraisal

August 20, 2017, 1:34 PM · I have recently acquired two violins from an Estate where the grandfather was a verified luthier from the early 1900's by the name of Schultz that ended up living in Louisville KY. One of the violins has been said to possibly be late 1700's Italian. The other was probably created by Mr Schultz around 1920. Where is a great place to get an appraisal? They both look ready to play once restrung.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Replies (5)

August 20, 2017, 1:42 PM · Your local luthier, wherever you live, can probably write an insurance appraisal for you. If you do not have a local luthier, there is likely one in the closest large city to you.
August 20, 2017, 2:01 PM · most "local" luthiers aren't going to be qualified to identify a 1700s Italian violin, unless its obviously not Italian. Your best bet is to look up luthiers that are members of the VSA, Violin Society of America.
August 20, 2017, 2:49 PM · Tarisio can help. If they're not too snobby about it.

Master luthiers can help

Edited: August 20, 2017, 3:59 PM · I would take it to a respected maker. I would avoid violin dealers who have never played or made an instrument. These people (as nice as they may be) overlook a lot of stuff. Phillip Injeian of Pittsburgh (www.masterviolinshop.com/) is the person I'd trust the most to do a appraisal and possible authentication. A couple of years ago he identified the stolen 'Ames' Stradivarius when by fate, the widow of the violinist who had stolen the instrument, sent him images of the Stradivarius via e-mail.
August 20, 2017, 3:39 PM · People who only make violins usually aren't very good at identifying antiques, as it requires years of experience seeing hundreds of instruments.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin