concerto for college audition

Edited: August 16, 2017, 9:46 AM · hello,
I've been playing violin for 9 years. I have all been self taught, but of course with the aid for squeaky school orchestras.i am a senior and the colleges im thinking abut are: colorado state, ithaca college, penn state, baffalo state, syracuse, (maybe) uc irvine, u of hartford, u of hawaii at manoa, va tech, u of southern california, UIC and (maybe) UMD

But with my lack of knowledge and teacher, i was wondering what concerto i could learn quickly, but perform well. I am in the search of a teacher, but while i am still searching I don't want to be waiting.

thanks so much!!

Replies (4)

Edited: August 16, 2017, 11:42 AM · I think the best strategy is to apply as a non-music major. If you have not played any intermediate concertos so far, the chance of a successful audition is zero. Find a teacher and keep improving your violin skill as a serious hobby.
August 16, 2017, 2:17 PM · What's your goal? Are you auditioning for a college orchestra/teacher, or are you hoping to apply as a music student? I think it's going to be hard to polish something up to an audition standard if you're self-taught. What sort of solo repertoire have you played thus far? Have you performed (outside of orchestra) anywhere recently?

If I were you, I'd a) find a teacher and get an honest assessment of where you are with your playing–strengths, weaknesses, appropriate level, etc., and then b) go to college, see if you can get into the orchestra/someone's studio (not as a music major) and see how you do.

If you're willing to put in the practice time (which usually means sacrificing some percentage of social life), college can be a great opportunity to improve your technique and learn new repertoire. Many schools have heavily subsidized lessons, even for non-majors.

What I wouldn't do is attempt to learn something really challenging on my own. It's better to polish something that's well within your technical grasp. Again, no idea where you are ability-wise but I could imagine something like a Handel Sonata (two contrasting movements), maybe the Bach A minor concerto, a couple of movements of Bartok's Romanian Dances or a salon piece like Meditation.

August 16, 2017, 2:24 PM · Please, please, please, get a teacher ASAP. Auditioning as a self-taught music major isn't realistic. The advice above to apply as a non-music major and then try to get lessons as an elective is very good advice, but even there you are at a serious disadvantage being self-taught.
Edited: August 16, 2017, 2:34 PM · What's the specific context here? Is this an audition for placement (for instance, you want to take private lessons as a non-music-major), an orchestra placement audition, or something else? I assume you are not trying to audition for a music major.

Your school orchestra director is probably best equipped to tell you (and possibly coach you) on a solo piece that would be at your level and would be a good demonstration of your strengths and weaknesses to a committee looking at where to fit you into the musical life of your future school, whatever it is that you choose.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance