Re: Needed: flamed neck and scroll for a Maggini copy 4/4

Edited: August 18, 2017, 1:35 PM · If anyone, a luthier or player, has a flamed Maggini 4/4 neck and scroll I can purchase, please let me know. I would also consider purchasing a damaged Maggini 4/4 with a good flamed neck and scroll. Thank you. Joe Jablonski jabljjj@cs.com
https://www.facebook.com/HouseofFineInstruments/videos/900604849952901/

Replies (12)

Edited: August 14, 2017, 8:51 PM · Joe,

My computer doesn't recognize your e-mail address. Is it correct?

edit:oops. fixed it.

August 15, 2017, 12:30 PM · Hey Joe, as far as I know, Maggini didn't use three turn scrolls, just the "copies". I think he did use one turn scrolls, though, you see them sometimes on copies.
August 15, 2017, 12:51 PM · Hey Joe ...

This sounds like Hendrix, not Maggini.

August 15, 2017, 1:23 PM · https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/106612-seeking-picture-of-maggini-type-scroll/
August 15, 2017, 4:24 PM · yes, it is true. The only Maggini in the Blot book with the extra turns is a cello with a non-orig. scroll.
I have a German scroll, old but never used, that is the one-turn type. I have one vioin that has two extra turns.
Maggini, on surviving orig. scrolls (of which there are few) usually have 1/2 turn less.
Don't forget that judging how many turns should be on a scroll based on Strad really doesn't work for the Brescian violin makers. Maggini and Gaspar died long before Strad was born.
August 15, 2017, 4:31 PM · Thanks, Duane. You confirm what I was guessing.
Edited: August 15, 2017, 4:35 PM · What Joe didn't mention is this is a hand made American Maggini model violin without a neck, and he is wondering what would be appropriate, a production Markneukirchen 3 turn scroll might be just the wrong thing, there is also the issue of matching the varnish.

(Joe has been a customer of mine)

August 18, 2017, 1:37 PM · https://www.facebook.com/HouseofFineInstruments/videos/900604849952901/
August 18, 2017, 1:45 PM · I think we have determined by videos of Maggini model Bohmanns that he used a more standard two turn scroll, not three turn.
Edited: August 18, 2017, 5:17 PM · The Vuillaume Maggini model I play on has an extra turn on the scroll. Lovely violin. It reminds me slightly of this Gasparo da Salo I tried years back. I've never actually tried a real Maggini. This Vuillaume is slightly bigger than one of his Stradivarius or Guarnerius models. Close to 14 1/2". Is that the measurement for most Maggini full size violins??
August 19, 2017, 12:47 AM · I dont know exact numbers and cant look any up as I am currently on a buissines trip, but Magginis violins were indeed a bit bigger than Strads.
Never had the chance to play a genui Maggini, but they are supposed to sound a bit deeper and full.
Edited: August 19, 2017, 11:18 AM · Yes that was my impression with the da Salo I tried Marc; very rich, and thick lower register, almost like a viola. This Vuillaume also has that same sound. It doesn't just look like an old Brescian instrument. I'd imagine this is quite an accurate copy. I heard Vuillaume would make replicas of famous instruments he'd have in his shop for repairs. There's that famous story about Paganini not being able to tell the difference between the Vuillaume copy of his 'Cannon' Guarneri and the real thing when he went back to retrieve his instrument from Vuillaume.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music