FAKE THOMASTIK DOMINANT STRINGS: GOOD OR BAD

August 13, 2017, 11:38 AM · I just found one source where fake Thomastik DOminants keep popping up. I've always wondered where to get them because I want to try and compare it to the real ones. I've ordered a set but it's going to take a while (based on previous experiences on ordering from this particular Chinese site) The link is here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Opera-Perlon-Violin-String-4-4-Medium-Gauge-Full-Set-G-D-A-E-Ball-End/32649147979.html?traffic_analysisId=recommend_3035_null_null_null&scm=1007.13338.80878.000000000000000&pvid=44c22926-765b-4751-9e99-fb67d4a8ddec&tpp=1

They have copied the colouring exactly based on the picture given, and I was just wondering what you guys would think of it. It also claims to use actual perlon core.

Replies (38)

August 13, 2017, 11:38 AM · Oh plus the price is like 4 times cheaper
August 13, 2017, 11:45 AM · and the quality is like 16 times less LOL
August 13, 2017, 11:55 AM · I only played on chinese strings once yet, they were wound to bad to play. It felt like very old strings when you tune them but if you finger them you are out of tune. I dont know how this is called in English, here it is called "quintenunrein".
I think its only a matter of time until there will be decent Chinese strings on the market that can feed the low price consumer class. Let us know what you think about them.
August 13, 2017, 11:56 AM · That's possibly true @Lyndon Taylor. I've seen some pretty good string come from China, but their minimum price is still $25+
Edited: August 13, 2017, 12:59 PM · If the price is the main concern, then something like D'Addario Prelude set may prove to be a superior alternative to a fake Dominant set. A Prelude set is currently available online at $15.30.
August 13, 2017, 1:12 PM · @Sung Han price isn't really the concern at the moment, as I use Thomastik Vision strings and a Goldbrokat E string for my good violin. I have an D'Addario Helicore and a Evah Pirazzi as backup. I'm just testing new brands of strings on my cheaper violin and I came across this.
August 13, 2017, 1:30 PM · OK, my misunderstanding. If you are experimenting with strings, try something from Warchal, especially Amber E and Brilliant A.
August 13, 2017, 1:35 PM · Pirastro Tonica $35/set, as good or better than Dominant
August 13, 2017, 1:47 PM · ... and I thought the Shar Music genuine strings hologram was just a marketing gimmick!
August 13, 2017, 3:06 PM · But why are these fake Dominants? Nowhere in the page I see them claiming the strings are Dominants.
August 13, 2017, 3:32 PM · Yeah, the URL says "Opera Perlon Strings."
Edited: August 13, 2017, 5:18 PM · @Demian Hesse @Ella Yu

They cannot claim they are fake Dominants, or Dominants in general because the company they are selling it on forbids the selling of fakes after a US complain laid onto them back in like 2015. However, there is the loophole of calling them a different name. Then it passes. However, if you go far enough through these shopping sites, you will eventually reach one that claims to be real Dominants.

August 13, 2017, 5:33 PM · You should really beware of buying German strings of any kind on ebay, especially from the orient, as fakes are very common, and usually the price for the fakes is as high as for the real ones from a reputable dealer.
August 13, 2017, 10:19 PM · One of my friend bought a Violin from China with this set of strings and was told they are steel core strings made in Beijing. I tried them out and they are ok for the price but sound wise nowhere near the Genuine Dominant strings especially G and D strings. They are rough and hard to play. Not recommended for any players beyond grade 4 level.

So far the Chines have made beautiful string instruments like violins and violas but they are far behind in coming up with good strings. I have also tried the Chinese made Maestro strings which I bought in Australia and they are the very best Chinese made strings I have ever come across and I have fitted them on three of my violins. Here is the link if you want to try them out.

https://animato.com.au/store/categories/Violin-%252d-Everything/Violin-Strings/Maestro-Strings-for-Violin-%252d-%22Hot-Special-Offer%22/

I paid $35CDN a set and IMHO they are better the the Pirastro Tonicas.

I have not tried the Maestro Viola strings. There is a string quartet fitted with the Maestro strings playing in a video so you can hear what they sound like.

August 14, 2017, 3:59 AM · I have been using some Opera perlon strings for two years. I had liked them because they were cheap,,$4 a set, they had a good sound, they didn't break or come apart. On the negative side, after 6 weeks the good sound went away and a dullness appeared. But they were $4 a set, so I got a lot of practice changing strings. No problem.
Then I ran out of them and the new Opera strings I received are not the same. There is nothing good to say about them. So the real problem with Opera is the lack of consistency. They also sell a steel core called Opera.
I think it is a real shame that the producers are ruining their product and their name.
August 14, 2017, 10:20 AM · @Peace Lee I have never tried those strings before. I'll check those out soon too.
August 14, 2017, 10:38 AM · Apparently the guy who sell those opera perlon was here before

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/15665/

August 14, 2017, 11:11 AM · I got a fake set of Tonica strings by ordering from somewhere other than my usual reputable seller.

They weren't much cheaper than what I usually pay. The envelopes / packaging were spot on. I noticed whenI took the strings out that they were extremely flexible -- like wet spaghetti. I could tell by looking at the ball end that they were essentially steel strings.

I installed them on my backup violin just to see how terrible they were. They were extremely tense, very thin, and sounded worse than you could ever imagine!

August 14, 2017, 11:11 AM · I got a fake set of Tonica strings by ordering from somewhere other than my usual reputable seller.

They weren't much cheaper than what I usually pay. The envelopes / packaging were spot on. I noticed whenI took the strings out that they were extremely flexible -- like wet spaghetti. I could tell by looking at the ball end that they were essentially steel strings.

I installed them on my backup violin just to see how terrible they were. They were extremely tense, very thin, and sounded worse than you could ever imagine!

August 14, 2017, 12:03 PM · I understand people who buy a fake Gucci although I don't condone the practice. What I find more difficult is to understand people who deliberately buy fake violin strings. It just doesn't make sense to me.
August 14, 2017, 12:25 PM · @Sung Han I just like trying out new things, and seeing the difference between the real one and fake one. (I know so many people who buy fake Gucci)
August 14, 2017, 12:28 PM · OK, whatever strikes your fancy...
August 14, 2017, 1:02 PM · I know a lot of people who play fake Stradivari... the problem is the real ones are a little too expensive. There is of course, no comparison, how can a copy be as good as the real thing?

Cheers Carlo

August 14, 2017, 1:51 PM · To clarify -- I didn't order fake strings on purpose!
August 14, 2017, 1:59 PM · There's nothing wrong with playing a fake Strad (or a Guarneri, Amati, Maggini, Guadanini or del Gesu for that matter) if it sounds good for your needs and has no playability flaws.
August 14, 2017, 2:00 PM · I love how many people wonder why I try to buy fake string when I know it probably doesn't sound as good as the real ones: Chill man, the only time I'll ever do this! And who knows though.
August 14, 2017, 3:41 PM · That's okay. Go ahead and experiment if you want.
August 15, 2017, 3:52 AM · VIolin Kiddu, I doubt that this is your real name.
August 15, 2017, 4:24 AM · And just to clarify: Opera strings do not sound or play like Dominants, not even close, nor have I seen any ads claiming they do. They had been a good string for my practice. I have decided to use up every set of strings in my "string box", even those that cause me to grate my teeth, excepting only the $1 a set china steel strings...no one can play those and survive.

Rocky, the name police have been on vacation for over a year. Hope they come back soon.

August 15, 2017, 5:37 AM · @Rocky Milankov You're right it isn't. I made this a long time ago, and I don't really know why I put it as what it is now. But I'm probably not going to change it.
August 15, 2017, 7:54 AM · I understand why people use nicknames on this site. They want to protect their privacy.
August 16, 2017, 3:49 AM · Making strings may be a very difficult industry, otherwise the Chinese would already be making playable strings, which is not the case.
August 16, 2017, 7:11 AM · Unlike in U.S., classical music is very much appreciated in China and there are 30 million violin players there, according to an article I read somewhere.

Violin strings made in China may not be up to the high standard right now, but I think it is just a matter of time.

August 16, 2017, 9:09 AM · About the time they learn to fit soundposts, bridges and pegs properly????
August 16, 2017, 9:17 AM · Lyndon,

Those adjustments require additional labor (==$$). Poorly (aka non-) adjusted violins do not discourage bargain hunters.

Besides, strings do not require much post-processing after being manufactured. There lies the big difference.

August 16, 2017, 9:42 AM · No excuse for making poor quality violins to save on Labour!!
August 16, 2017, 10:03 AM · Agree on the need to improve quality while keeping the cost down. Maybe the advances in AI-assisted engineering could be the key.
August 16, 2017, 4:29 PM · @Lyndon Taylor I don't think many of you guys have been paying much attention on the improvement on Chinese violins. I do admit that they still have an issue with soundposts (I bought one and it came with the soundpost rolling around) but their pegs are perfected and their bridges actually have good setup. However, that depends on which company you're buying from.

@Sung Han Some people do use a CNC Router to create a simple versions of violins which need to be fine tuned by hand

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow