Violin Tutorial Websites

Edited: August 12, 2017, 7:30 AM · I teach a one semester violin methods class required of all music education string majors (no winds)at Baylor university. In the class the students explore the methods of teaching beginning to intermediate students violin students in a public school string program. Instead of my specifying a way to do beginning violin class lessons, we explore different methods of presenting material, and develop through class input and discussion effective teaching strategies.

Which video websites do you think have especially useful ideas? In the past, for instance we have used Michael Hopkins String Pedagogy Notebook and the Professor V videos among others.

Replies (7)

Edited: August 12, 2017, 8:02 AM · Kurt Sassmannshaus has very informative videos but not all that many, especially at the low end of things.

I've also been impressed with Beth Blackerby but I think most of her materials require a paid subscription. Since she is in Austin, which is a stone's throw from Baylor (to a Texan) maybe she is someone you could work with to arrange access to some of her entry-level stuff just to show your students what's out there.

And if you go to youtube and type in "how to do vibrato on violin" you will get quite an eyeful -- from undisputed masters like Nathan Cole to sites like Fiddlerman and then of course there will be some ... others.

August 12, 2017, 8:48 AM · Fiddlerman and Violin lab have some good videos.
Edited: August 15, 2017, 9:48 PM · violinlounge.com
howtoteachviolin.com
August 12, 2017, 11:39 AM · VIOLIN FOR MUSICIANS - DVD -19 short clips on technique is available on Youtube!
"You will understand things about playing the violin that some persons do not learn in a lifetime."
Andrew Victor, Maestronet
August 13, 2017, 8:56 AM · I am working on educational online content too! Until now, there are just the videos on my YouTube channel and a quite amateurish blog-page, which you can find in my profile. But I will experiment with different formats in the future! Taking the students by the hand and leading through a topic with explanations and custom exercises. Teaching online definitely is a viable thing! For me teachable.com seems to be a good platform. Maybe you can find more similar stuff there!
Edited: August 15, 2017, 8:40 PM · Violinlab is excellent, loads of material for a modest outlay. ViolinSchool.com based in London is also good, not sure how much is free on either of them. Coursera also run a free how to teach violin course

Sonia

Edited: August 16, 2017, 5:44 PM · Just stay away from "Expert Village"...*shudders*

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow