Can give me your opinion on this violin's quality and recommended price? Could you also give opinio

Edited: August 11, 2017, 10:35 PM · Hi all! So this is my first post on violinist.com and I just wanted a second opinion on how my new violin sounds based on this video of my teacher showing me his interpretation of Seitz's Concerto No. 2 3rd Movement?

https://youtu.be/MFPbkBY5O2c

It is a definite step-up from my previous violin, which I don't really like the sound of, the previous one sounded shallow and not full or rounded. I'll also have you know that the new violin is very new, probably final varnishing processes finished a month ago so it may not have it's final potential yet due to "breaking-in" or "playing-in".

Could you also give me your opinions on its quality, and recommended price based on these photos and how it sounds?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157876658@N08/MY57Ui

Replies (15)

August 12, 2017, 2:08 AM · Looks like a new Chinese factory violin with obviously fake Chinese Dominant strings, the first thing you need to do is have those strings replaced, then get a luthier to check the bridge, pegs and soundpost as these are usually not set up properly.
Edited: August 12, 2017, 2:32 AM · Lyndon - Yea I was thinking of getting it a set-up but it is really hard to do so here in the Philippines as we have only trained luthier here, Angel Gabute. How much would you think a set-up would cost based on what you said? Additionally, how much do you think this violin is priced at? Also, according to the seller, these are actually handmade by people in Guangzhou, China.

Still looking for second opinions on sound.

August 12, 2017, 2:43 AM · I'm gonna put in my Two Cents...
I don't think one can assess the sound properly through that video because the quality isn't really the best if we're to be honest, and a good violinist can usually make even a crappy fiddle sound acceptable. From what we can hear I think it's Ok. It seemed to me that the player was struggling a bit with it specially at the end. But again, these things one can't really tell from a low-quality video recording, I'm sorry.
On the rest, what Lyndon said!
If you can't get a luthier, get at least some better, authentic strings. I'm going to recommend Tonicas because they are my favorite 'budget' strings that are still of very good quality.
August 12, 2017, 2:53 AM · "handmade" in a factory working for $1/hr, not exactly skilled luthiers.
August 12, 2017, 3:54 AM · Fox Mitchell - Thank you for the response! Sorry hehe as this was only recorded on my phone. I was also recently looking for strings around local shops but they aren't really violin dedicated and I saw a set of Evah Pirazzi's selling for almost $200! So I am bit lost now, I could order online but shipping fees can get really expensive. I'll still continue my search for reasonably priced strings, but what do you think about getting a set up from an unprofessionally trained luthier?

Lyndon - Maybe so hehe :+)

August 12, 2017, 4:28 AM · Go with the Tonicas : an excellent string and MUCH cheaper than Dominants. They last longer too.
August 12, 2017, 4:53 AM · 1 USD/hr? Yes but what does that buy in China?
August 12, 2017, 5:15 AM · Don't put Evah Pirazzi on that violin! ...I mean, it's your money and all but I don't think it's worth it, specially if one can't be sure the violin is properly set up! Heck I have good violins and I don't use Evahs on them. ;)
As for who does the set-up, there are plenty of amateur luthiers out there that are phenomenal, just as there are plenty of professionals who are less than what you'd expect. The thing with 'professionals' is that them having a shop and doing it dozens of times a day and having been trained by experienced luthiers kinda implies they might know what they're doing a bit better than somebody who does it just to have fun. Also many times their work is guaranteed and if they royally screw something up they may be able to more readily remedy the problem.
So if you're having the friend of a friend who knows a guy who sets up violins do it, make sure you understand the risks!
August 12, 2017, 5:43 AM · @Edric

Where in the Philippines are you? If you're in Baguio. Let me know! We can try out my strings on your violin. I have a set of Dominant and Vision strings. Also brought my recorder and we can give everyone here in the forums a much better recording :P

Edited: August 12, 2017, 5:46 AM · Fox Mitchell - Thank you so much for your help!! Of course I wouldn't put Evah Pirazzi's on this violin considering their gonna cost me $200 when a set of Evahs are like $70 (I think)! It would be great though to have lots of money to fund this expensive hobby haha!

John C - I live in Laguna but I don't think we're going to Baguio anytime soon haha. Thanks though, how much are you selling those strings in PHP?

Edited: August 12, 2017, 5:49 AM · I think Tonikas may be to bright for this violin, altough I agree those are good standard strings.
Make sure someone has a look at the setup, the amount of bow needed suggests it should be looked at, also there seems to be the need of quite some bow pressure.
Evahs are, in my opinion, only worth for a very small group of people. They go off so quickly and have very high tension, not the best thing to put on every violin. If you dont need high projection because you are a solist, I would not recommend those. I played them myself some time (10 sets or something like that), wouldnt do it again.
However, have fun with it!
August 12, 2017, 6:03 AM · Everything is going to sound "too bright for this violin" when recorded on a cell phone.
August 12, 2017, 6:31 AM · Cpompare it to the recording played. I know cellphone recordings are always overly bright.
August 12, 2017, 6:45 AM · @Edric

I got it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V6E01I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How much are they selling it over there? If meeting up was easy, I wouldnt mind selling it for how much I got it for. No import fees :P It's a popular string so I was curious and tried it on my violin for two weeks. I still personally prefer the Vision on my violin, so I changed back except I kept the Pirastro Gold E string.

Changing and trying out different strings has been very fun for me. I wish there's a store with trial strings.

August 12, 2017, 5:50 PM · This sounds like a decent student violin, though the tight vibrato is likely the player's fault.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance