Website for selling used violin accesories

August 11, 2017, 6:45 PM · Any suggestions for a website where I can sell some violin accessories that I no longer need?

Replies (16)

August 11, 2017, 7:05 PM · Yes. It's called eBay.
August 11, 2017, 7:16 PM · Craigslist, amazon, and there's more.
August 11, 2017, 8:28 PM · The Mandolin Cafe has a classified section for "Violin Family" at: https://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi
August 11, 2017, 8:31 PM · So after testing 30 different rosins you've found Mr. Right and you don't need the others any more? Cool.
August 11, 2017, 8:41 PM · accesories are really personal, dont know if people want them used.
August 11, 2017, 9:04 PM · I think used accessories need a home, as long as they're in good shape. It's a shame to throw away old, usuable accessories.
August 12, 2017, 4:48 AM · Ella mentioned Craigslist and I use that often to sell unwanted sundry items and it is totallly free to advertise on. If you do post your items expect some mass mailed spam as well as scammers trying to contact you.
August 13, 2017, 6:07 PM · Paul,

You're a mind-reader and also probably speak from experience!:)

Appreciate the website suggestions from everyone. I have items like shoulder rests, etc that have hardly been used and are like new. Was looking for violin/ music websites specifically. I'll try David's suggestion and others.

Thanks

August 13, 2017, 8:48 PM · I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to sell such small items; instead, I'd donate them to a local school or program, preferably one that works with low-income students.
Edited: August 13, 2017, 9:26 PM · Nelson,

I don't know if it would bother me that much in all honesty.

Did you change your chinrest with each new violin purchase? If not chances are it's been used by at least one other person before reaching you. That's the only one I can think of bothering some folks, as it's had extended skin to part contact and in my experience some of us sweat quite a bit into that thing (ick!.. and guilty).

I wonder if there would be a market for lightly used rosin and rests, pins, pegs, tailpieces, etc.

I could see come utility in collecting everyone's un-used rosin and cutting it into smaller bits and re-selling it as 'tester kits'. Buy a kit and get 15 slices of Rosin for $20!

August 14, 2017, 12:42 AM · I was going to say the same thing as Mary Ellen, but she already did. Do it and take the tax deduction for a charitable contribution.
August 14, 2017, 6:00 AM · I have known several violinist to sell items on Reverb. It's a site dedicated to the sale of musical instruments and accessories. I personally purchased a like new Viva la Musica Diamond shoulder rest for an excellent price when I was experimenting with shoulder rests. It was nice not to invest full price for an accessory I might not like or work for my needs.
August 14, 2017, 9:00 AM · Skip, would you provide the UurL? Mary Ellen's suggestion sounds great, but selling this stuff is equally acceptable. Maybe if the chinrest has bacteria on it, would cleaning it be an option?
August 14, 2017, 1:42 PM · Instruments are sold to new players all the time with their existing chinrests, and many players never change them if they fit fine.

My current violin has a chinrest that's basically been worn smooth and matches no model that I have ever seen, and it accumulates an amazing amount of grime. No doubt it has been sweated on by plenty of others over the last century or two.

August 14, 2017, 3:29 PM · Ella Yu, here you go https://reverb.com/ . Lydia's right, also, when you're in a shop trying out various violins, how many chins have been on that chinrest before you picked it up?
August 14, 2017, 3:39 PM · Many.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music