Choosing where to purchase a Doerfler 19A

August 7, 2017, 11:36 PM · Have been searching for a luither and/or chain/franchised musical instrument store that sells Doerfler 19A in Montreal area. Luckily, I was able to search one near rue Ontario, and was able to try out their Doerfler 19A too.

The problem comes when I was searching for the same model online, and found that most online/actual stores sell them from $500-$600CAD, while this luither sells them for 850 bucks...

So:

1) do you prefer buying off from a luither/store when you can actually test the bows out, or from online stores, in which you don't even get to try them out, but you're getting quite a deal?

2) where in Toronto/Montreal may I get to try out Doerfler bows, and possibly get them with a similar price tag as the online ones?

Thank you for your help!

Replies (10)

Edited: August 8, 2017, 6:45 AM · No two trees are indentical, no two Stradivari violins either!
The tone of violins of the same make and model will vary from sample to sample, and also, on-line set-up is very hazardous (bridge, soundpost, strings, fingerboard, pegs etc.)
Edited: August 8, 2017, 8:01 AM · I think its also wrong to decide for a specific modell.
Be aware of the price range and play all you can find in it. Last time I went bow shopping I found a bow for virtuose stuff (lively and light feeling) that was about a third of my budget that I prefered over all other bows. And I did play a lot.

No bow is like another, it also has to match your violin and your playing style. So the best one on violin a does not have to be the best one on violin b, same in handling between different players.

August 9, 2017, 10:30 AM · The price you're paying at the Luthier includes more than just the violin. It includes the setup that he might have done (putting strings on, adjusting soundpost, putting bridge on and possible shaping bridge more.

It also includes the luxury of trying the violin first, which is probably the most important aspect of the "Extra" you're paying there.

Also, like Marc said, you should find a violin that plays great for you, rather than getting stuck on a particular brand.

August 9, 2017, 1:21 PM · Although this is a bow not a violin, but basic concept stays the same.
Edited: August 9, 2017, 4:13 PM · No bow of the same model created equal, hence trial is a must. A reputable luthier will often negotiate the best bow in a lot from his/her supplier, and that is certainly worth a few more dollars but you may also be able to negotiate the price down a bit if you can show a significant saving online.
Edited: August 9, 2017, 7:27 PM · ... and there are quite a few bow makers in Montreal where you can buy a 1st class bow with for bit more money. If you are on a budget, this may be a moot point, but if not, and they are willing to accept instalments, I would not waste my money on a stick labeled like an iPod.
August 9, 2017, 10:08 PM · I would not count out the Dörfler per se, the label is just a label.
Edited: August 9, 2017, 11:02 PM · Doerfler actually makes some pretty good bows, and unlike their Chinese competitors, they are real pernambuco on the higher models. real Brazilwood on the cheaper ones.
August 9, 2017, 11:31 PM · My first pernambuco bow as a student was a Dörfler of the higher range (it was priced comparable to the one the op asked for).
I prefer my 100€ China bow that I bought out of curiosity.
Both are absolutly no match to my other bows, altough the wood on the Dörfler might be even better than on some others.
For bows general rules simply dont apply.
Edited: August 9, 2017, 11:32 PM · double

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music