Stroh Horn Violin

August 7, 2017, 5:19 PM · I am looking to buy a Stroh Horn Violin. If anyone can throw me some advise, would be welcome. Or if you have a decent sounding one you are selling, even better :-)

Thanks in advance.
Ben

Replies (19)

August 7, 2017, 11:32 PM · "Decent sounding" would be a pipe dream, but good luck...
August 8, 2017, 9:45 AM · http://larkinthemorning.com/

It might need some set-up help when you get it.

August 8, 2017, 9:54 AM · Is that the store in Mendocino, CA? Fun place to visit ----the whole town (Keep an eye out for Jessica Fletcher-"Murder She Wrote!"
Edited: August 9, 2017, 9:28 AM · I got to play one once. I was in one of the main squares in Leuven (Belgium) when I heard some loud fiddle playing coming from the far side. I wandered over and found this Roumanian fiddler making a pretty handy job of some Eastern European folk tunes. We talked - I didn't speak Roumanian and he didn't have English, so we just about got along with an interesting mish-mash of French, German and Dutch. The instrument was home-made by him from the body of one violin, the neck of another. I said I played Irish and English folk tunes so he invited me to have a go. I played a couple of Irish polkas and an English morris tune, and wasn't it a powerful sound!

[Edit added Aug 9: the strings were steel, fairly high off the fingerboard. There was an audio pickup and a small amp powered by a 9v battery - easily enough to blast the town square through the horn!]

August 9, 2017, 5:54 AM · It appears there is a company that makes reproductions, but have no idea if they are any better than originals. Several models are offered at their Website: http://strohviolin.com
August 9, 2017, 8:18 AM · I have seen them at fiddle contests and more often in the southern states than the north. I think they are kind of different and more of a novelty item than a practical instrument to play on. I would like to have one but have never seen one for sale in the shops I visit.
August 9, 2017, 9:30 AM · They show up on ebay fairly often, some are new and some are old ones.
Edited: August 9, 2017, 11:09 AM · There are some New??? Romanian Stroh violins going up for auction today on ebay. I think around $300
August 9, 2017, 1:18 PM · This is one of those things that you only think you want. Then, after you get it, you'll ask yourself the question "What was I thinking when I bought this?"
August 10, 2017, 11:27 AM · Well said Mark.
August 10, 2017, 11:53 AM · Looks like something Dr.Suess would dream up.
August 10, 2017, 4:20 PM · WOW!!! I definitely want one! But since I won't have the money for at least a few months, I wonder how I'll feel then? I can imagine loving it as a sidepiece for a little variety in a set....
August 10, 2017, 6:24 PM · I think it was intended as an outdoor instrument, as it was in Leuven when I got to play one, or in a big dance hall back in the day when PA was rare or unknown.
August 10, 2017, 7:01 PM · so do you play it in the horn section or string section? Or nowhere in between?
August 11, 2017, 1:54 AM · The Argentine tango violinst Julio da Caro used one.
In the days of purely acoustic recordings (where the sound energy into the horn had to be sufficient to cut the disc) these violins were quite common, and double basses would be replaced by tubas.
When eletrical recordings appeared (with those microphone thingies) Da Caro's recordings sounded a lot less pleasant, although his playing was still as magical.
August 11, 2017, 5:52 AM · A friend of mine has one and I have played it a few times. The sound is not very strong and not very nice either. I think its main purpose was to make the sound more directional for recording.
August 11, 2017, 6:44 AM · The first time I heard one, I expected it to sound way more unlike a traditional violin, perhaps more like a trumpet. I was rather disappointed when it just sounded like a rather low quality version of the violins I am used to hearing.
August 11, 2017, 8:31 AM · I'm waiting for a modern "classical" composer to write a solo for a Stroh in his latest symphony. Don't laugh, things like that do happen!
August 11, 2017, 11:43 AM · I'm holding out for a Stroh viola...

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow