Order of Difficulty?

August 5, 2017, 4:41 PM · My name is Cal, and I'm wondering how difficult y'all think some pieces are. These are the pieces I'm talking about:
Wieniawski - Variations on a Theme
Chausson - Poeme
Saint-Saens - Intro. and Rondo Capriccioso
Ravel - Tzigane
Hubay - Carmen Fantasy
Piazzolla - Four Seasons
Ysaye - Sonata No. 4
Beethoven - Kreutzer Sonata
Sorry for the long list! I'm know not ready for every piece on this list, but I would like to have goals for the future! I'd especially like for y'all to suggest what level the pieces are to each other (if possible because the types of pieces differ).

Thanks,
Cal

Replies (8)

August 5, 2017, 5:12 PM · I am sorry in advance for my answer

I am not sure if I can rate those form the easiest to the most difficult (I would like to see a "list" though from anybody else). It's complicated since they are so much different as you say - I also suppose that we are not talking about just getting through the score. Most of them require either a certain level of technique, or an understanding of style, or both.

My only piece of advice is before the Ysaye Sonata, go through the Bach sonatas for solo violin (if you haven't already - again I am sorry but I do not know your level)

Also, if you have not messed with chamber music, starting with the Kreutzer sonata wouldn't be that brilliant. I also have some thoughts about this sonata. Maybe by looking at the score you could get the impression that it would be the easiest to get through...However it could prove the most difficult to perform in an above the acceptable manner.

As far as Piazzolla is concerned, for me it's all about the style and the vibe... :)

August 6, 2017, 3:41 PM · Have you checked out Violin Masterclass? It lists your Chausson, Ravel, and Beethoven selections at Level 8. The Saint-Saens is Level 9.

Those are the only four I checked. Still, you won't find total consensus on order of difficulty. Some students, for instance, may find a particular Level 8 piece more challenging in some regards than a Level 9 piece. I'm writing that statement from my own personal experience.

August 6, 2017, 7:34 PM · They're all too hard for me. I suspect ordering will be rather "individual" because they may have different elements that are more within your skill set than others. That's why it's good to have your teacher help you decide the order in which they are studying.
August 6, 2017, 10:03 PM · Does anyone else find the levels on Violin Masterclass to be slightly odd?

They've got Bartok 1 and Viotti 22/23 in the same level...Vieuxtemps after Prokofiev and Berg...

The Delay sequence makes more sense to me intuitively.

August 7, 2017, 8:37 AM · Yes. Quite a few are odd.
August 7, 2017, 9:17 AM · Personally, I feel some of these level placements on some pieces are a little out of place. For example, Wieniawski Variations on an Original Theme is placed at lvl 8 on Violin Masterclass. I am currently working on Wieniawski Concerto #2 and I find the variations much harder, but find Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso easier than Wieniawski. Truthfully, I feel most of these schools of thought don't make sense to me. It is really is up to the artist to decide what is hard and what is easy. Really, they just have to try stuff out.

Calvin, here is a list that I have complied based solely on my opinion.

(easiest)

Piazzolla Four Seasons (not entirely sure)
Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo
Ysaye Sonata #4 (Yes. I played a lot of Bach.)
Wieniawski Variations on an original theme
Waxman Carmen Fantasy
Beethoven Sonata "Kreutzer"
Bazzini Round of the Goblins
Chausson Poeme
Ravel Tzigane
Hubay Carmen Fantasy

(hardest)

I've added a few other pieces for your own interest. You may want to look back to this list for future reference if this makes sense to you and you take interest into those pieces.

August 7, 2017, 10:23 PM · Thank y'all so much! Eric, the pieces that you added are great!
August 19, 2017, 4:56 AM · Hello so

1-Wieniawski - Variations on a Theme
2-Chausson - Poeme
Saint-Saens - Intro. and Rondo Capriccioso
4-Ravel - Tzigane
5-Hubay - Carmen Fantasy
7-Piazzolla - Four Seasons
3-Ysaye - Sonata No. 4
6-Beethoven - Kreutzer Sonata

My rating for several reasons but this is it

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com