Hanging Violin by Command Strips (velcro)

August 4, 2017, 10:18 AM · Someone please tell me how bad of an idea this is. I am in a rental, and my landlord is very strict on no screw holes. I have a lot of little kids in my life that would love to get their hands on my violins, and no place to store violin cases on the floor.

How bad is the idea of getting violin wall mounts and using a couple up-to-50lb Command Picture Hanging Strips to hold them?

Replies (19)

August 4, 2017, 10:55 AM · The velcro will hold, this won't be a problem.

The glue that sticks the velcro on the wall, on the other hand, will probably give you a headache.

May I suggest an industrial (steel) shelf (those with four legs)?

Edited: August 4, 2017, 11:06 AM · I wouldn't do that. The strength of any adhesive is dependent on a lot of conditions, like humidity, surface texture, paint finish condition, cleanliness, age...... When the manufacturer rates their product at 50 lbs., that's probably assuming some "ideal" conditions, whatever they might be.

I personally believe that violins should live in their cases when they're not being used, to protect them from UV light, humidity and temperature fluctuations, dust, or just getting accidentally hit. I practice a ritual every day of always wiping my violin and bow off and putting them away in their case. I do this even when I know that I'll be taking them right back out early the next day.

My recommendation would be to find another solution than hanging them on the wall.

August 4, 2017, 11:17 AM · How about just locking your cases. Or put them in a closet with a locking door. And those little kids need to be taught not to touch stuff without asking first. Really, they do, for their own safety in addition to your sanity.

August 4, 2017, 11:22 AM · Paul, I found those locks in the violin case to be mostly cheap and decorative ( i mean, you can unlock them with a paperclip).

When you are talking about kids, I am 90% positive that they would force the latch until it broke the locking mechanism.

Edited: August 4, 2017, 6:21 PM · This is a slow time of the year for violin makers. Go ahead, we need the work...
Edited: August 4, 2017, 7:41 PM · You're saying 90% of children would deliberately overcome a locked barrier? Neither of my daughters nor any of their friends would ever do this. When they have "sleep-overs" my instruments are never touched and my work-shop and other "off-limits" rooms are never entered despite remaining unlocked. Perhaps that is because they know there would be hell to pay.

Still, if your situation differs, then you need a secure enclosure such as a padlocked gun cabinet for your violins.

August 5, 2017, 1:41 AM · Oh the irony of it - Messrs Capone, etc. used to keep their guns in violin cases and now you need to keep your violins in a gun cabinet!
August 5, 2017, 2:10 AM · Perhaps you could tie the violin to several helium balloons, so it will float the ceiling (out of reach of the kids) when not being played? Only use this method indoors, of course.
August 5, 2017, 6:09 AM · David, perhaps not such a good idea! In my experience (as a kid) balloons on ceilings are there to be punctured when the adults aren't around.
August 5, 2017, 7:57 AM · Glue magnets to back of violin - stick to fridge...

Seriously though - I've got a bunch of instruments hanging from standard picture hooks and never had a problem.

August 5, 2017, 10:34 AM · Laughing at some of these answers, helium balloons might just be the way to go! Thanks guys! Obviously I would love to store them in a closet, but I don't even have a closet big enough to hold them and my apartment is basically one huge room... :,(. I am really considering the gun cabinet idea...
August 5, 2017, 11:19 AM · Safest to keep violins in their cases. A gun safe will, depending on the rating, protect from fire too. I used to keep my violins in their cases in one of these. I now have a vault, perhaps overkill for most people...

Cheers Carlo

Edited: August 7, 2017, 4:03 AM · "Glue magnets to back of violin - stick to fridge..."

Hah, great way to remind yourself that you don't get a piece of pie until you've played some scales. ;-)

August 7, 2017, 7:05 AM · Use the Velcro to hang up the kids?
Edited: August 7, 2017, 7:49 AM · If space is limited, you might consider a sturdy foot locker with a hasp that you can padlock? The foot locker can serve as a coffee table or a stand for other easily moveable things when you want to play.
August 8, 2017, 1:58 PM · David, I like your fridge idea, but would take it further. How about a locking system that picks a scale then only releases the door when the scale is perfectly in tune...

Cheers Carlo

August 8, 2017, 2:27 PM · Surely you all remember the periodic table indicates the Helium atoms is one of the smallest, thus you need to specify Helium in the MYLAR balloons, not the latex. Otherwise the atoms escape within 24 hours...so there it is.....
August 18, 2017, 6:12 PM · I really like Scott Cole's idea haha.

On a real side, I actually "velcro up" contents on my work desks. Ranging from monitor, speakers, laptops and etc.

I personally will NEVER do this for a violin outside its case, but if you can hang the violin by velcro, real question is, how about putting it inside a case, then attaching the case to the wall by velcro?

You do have to be careful as to adhesive holding velcro tapes in place failing on a humid or a dry day. I personally overcame it by series of trial and error on a 25lb dumbbell held up by velcro and doing a downward pull test and spraying water, then chalk powder on the contact point.

August 18, 2017, 6:37 PM · The question is not the velcro. The question is the adhesive holding the velcro to the wall.

If your violin is held up by command strips, is that the same thing as going commando?

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow