Bow hand technique

August 4, 2017, 6:49 AM · I am curious. Does anyone here do a "swirling motion" on their wrist whenever they are doing detache? I am very confused because I'm practicing Wolhart no 3 right now, and I'm trying to do the "swirling motion" on detache. I hope everyone understands. Thank you :)

Replies (9)

August 4, 2017, 4:55 PM · I do not understand what you mean by "swirling motion."
August 4, 2017, 8:00 PM · I was told to "swirl" my wrist on my bow hand whenever I do a detache bow stroke. I don't know how to rephrase because my English is not that good. Anyways, thank you. :))
August 4, 2017, 9:09 PM · Hi Albert,
By "swirl" do you mean a motion at the wrist like a paint brush?
August 4, 2017, 11:51 PM · Milstein used and taught a bow hold that used the whole arm from the shoulder and there was no messing about with the wrist and all that stuff. He had a bow technique to die for.
August 5, 2017, 1:08 AM · I agree with Peter (and Milstein!!)

Wrist and finger movements can be part of an overall suppleness, and also permit certain stokes: tremolo, saltellato, staccato etc.

The "whole arm" stroke may not be visible as such in all circumstances, but as in vibrato, it is good to feel the source of arm movements as being somewhere between the shoulder-blades, even if we are momentarily concentrating on more local motions.

Edited: August 5, 2017, 11:40 AM · I too believe the wrist should be relaxed and calm, but not too stiff. Too much wrist movement not only affect eveness of the soundand creates clicks during bow change, but also can cause wrist injury. With fast string cross in middle or up part of the bow and spiccato, the flexibility of fingers are doing most of the job.
August 7, 2017, 3:34 AM · I don't fully understand what you mean, but relaxing your wrist and then imagining that there is a string attatched between your thumb bone and wrist bone helpd me.
August 7, 2017, 6:46 AM · Just look at Milstein and forget the other stuff! Play from the shoulder.
August 7, 2017, 7:01 AM · I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but a couple of videos might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI59M_qhx8k (detache bowing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVJGYgRGKI8 (figure 8 bowing)

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow