Rant: International travel in a few days and my current case is too big. AHHHHH

July 29, 2017, 4:34 PM · Due to some urgent situation, I will be travelling from the U.S. to the Philippines and will stay there for at least 3 weeks. I'm a beginner violinist and rarely travel by air, so I bought a big rugged case that can fit a lot of things. Crossrock CRA400VFBK

I started looking at carry-on baggage policies. It's usually combined dimensions of 45". My case is 31.7" x 11" x 5.9" = 48.9". I have contacted the airlines and bottom line is they will determined at check-in whether I can take it in or not. I've read too many violin check-in horror stories, so definitely not sending it through the conveyor belt.

Now I'm in panic mode looking for a violin case that can go through as carry-on AND withstand this weather. https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/RPXX4229:1:RP Environment is also at 100% humidity, which I'm reading up about in case I need special preparations for my instrument.

Just ranting... panicking... and digging up all the violin case threads right now. No idea on budget right now. BAM cases look great, but not sure about spending $600 on a case for a $1250 violin and $80 bow haha

Replies (41)

July 29, 2017, 4:36 PM · Forgot to mention. I really really really want to bring my violin because the lessons are $4 for 45 mins vs $60+ per hour in my area in the U.S.
Edited: July 29, 2017, 5:34 PM · Call your airline.

The Crossrock is the same size as any standard oblong violin case. Although it exceeds the standard carry-on dimensions, if it is the only thing you are carrying many airlines will allow you to do so. I've flown with my Musafia before and have not had any issues (although I limit my air travel to Singapore Airlines, ANA, and JetBlue these days).

More recently, I've used my shaped BAM case, as well as one of those Howard Core fiberglass BAM copy-cat cases. No issues.

Edited: July 29, 2017, 5:41 PM · @Gene

I was just about to update this thread with my findings. You are right, my case is very similar to most standard violin cases even compared popular BAM cases that I read people were able to travel with. I was also looking at cheap violin cases and I can just buy a big plastic bag to deal with the rain.

Current Case (cm) (in) (total at bottom)
80.5 31.7
27.9 11.0
15.0 5.9
123.4 48.6

BAM Contoured
79.0 31.1
25.0 9.8
18.0 7.1
122.0 48.0

Bam Oblong
77.0 30.3
25.0 9.8
16.0 6.3
118.0 46.5

ADM Triangular Shape
78.7 31
24.9 9.8
11.9 4.7
115.6 45.5

BAM Overhead
63.0 24.8
23.0 9.1
15.0 5.9
101.0 39.8

EDIT: Really, only the BAM Overhead would be within baggage policies if airlines are absolutely strict. I did contact them twice and two different people said I will just find out during check-in at the terminal.

July 29, 2017, 8:10 PM · I've used one of these for the past few years traveling back and forth to Japan. So far, so good.

https://www.amazon.com/Eastman-Sinfonica-Fibreglass-Silver-Rocket/dp/B01CBLVO32?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01CBLVO32

Edited: July 30, 2017, 5:34 AM · Not sure which airline you are taking, but I have traveled with my Riboni standard oblong case to Europe, the Middle East and Northeast Asia many times. I have never ever had any problems. Now, you did mention that you are going to the Philippines. If you are traveling on one of those budget airlines in Asia, there might be a problem with taking your oblong violin case on board, so you should most certainly call the airline ahead of time. But really, I have not had a single issue fitting violin cases in the overhead compartment in A330s, A350s and A380s.

In fact, I think fitting a violin case in the overhead is one of the easiest tasks. If anyone who is not familiar with the fitting, just tell them that in large airplanes (like the ones I listed above), a lot of times, there is plenty of room to put the violin case on TOP of other carry-on luggage. Because of the way the overhead is designed, when you close the compartment, the violin case that was sitting on top of the other carry-ons is actually standing in parallel with the rest of them. There is no worries of it sliding around or getting hammered by other carry-ons.

During my last travel to Germany in June, I even took TWO, and yes, TWO oblong violin cases on board with me in the economy class. Not a single complaint from Qatar Airways. They just stack on top of each other, with plenty of room still in front of them to fit everyone else's backpack in the overhead.

July 30, 2017, 7:01 AM · Do not ask the gate agent if you can take your violin on board. Do not call attention to yourself. Do not try to bring a roller bag or other large carry-on with you. Be sure that if you have a second carry-on, it will fit under the seat in front of you. And then just get in line as normal and board with your violin. (Backpack straps are also helpful.)
July 30, 2017, 7:01 AM · Just put it in the dryer for an hour.

You should also take care, however to shrink the violin so it doesn't get damaged in-flight.

Edited: July 30, 2017, 7:34 AM · Mary:

Actually, international travel is a bit different these days. Carry-on requirements are rather strict, so agents at the gate (depending on which airlines, mostly Middle East airlines and Asian airlines) will go through the passengers waiting at the gate and eyeball the weight and the size of each carry-on.

In addition, when you check-in at the airport, the agent might ask you to show your carry-on and put one of those airline stickers as an evidence for an approved carry-on. This happens very often on asian airlines, by the way. That will be what the agents look for at the gate. So an international traveler does have to be honest about carrying an instrument which has a size at the borderline, like a violin with a case.

I am always very upfront about my violin(s), particularly when I had to carry two of them, precisely because I do not want to get rejected at the gate. If you are upfront about it at the check-in, and the answer is "no", you will always have an opportunity to come up with a plan B. If you are not upfront about it at the outset and get rejected at the gate, you run into serious problem of making a choice of checking your violin at the gate (I would never do that) or give up your travel plan, which would cost you a fine, because you would have already checked-in.

Fortunately, I have not yet run into an agent telling me that I am not allowed to carry a violin on board.

July 30, 2017, 8:59 AM · @Y Cheng

Your case has slightly thicker and taller dimensions as mine, although the oblong shape would likely make it look smaller. I have no doubt that my case would fit since my duffel bag always fits fine and my case is much thinner and only about 5" longer.

I have not decided which airline to take, but likely Philippine Airlines since it's the only non-stop flight from SFO-MNL. It's a lot more expensive, but at least I have a smaller risk of running into some situation. No transfers, I speak their language so I can try to be more friendly, and I know for sure my case will fit. Just a matter of them giving me a go signal to go in with it. I called them and no definitive answer, but worst case would be some sort of cabin check-in + fee.

Ideally I'd prefer to not buy another case, but I have an option of investing on a BAM Cabin Overhead. It's the smallest case I found so far and has a combined 40" in dimensions (airlines typically have 45" limit). It will cost me $600 including the bow tube, but it would allow me to fly any airlines without worry including budget airlines. Can pay for itself in 3-4 flights.

Which airlines do you use for travels in Asia? China Eastern costs almost half of Philippine Airlines.

@Mary

I will likely need to declare what item I'm carrying since my case looks more of a weapon/gun case than a violin case =s

Edited: July 30, 2017, 9:31 AM · Back in the summer of 2001, when I was planning an October trip with a violin I searched out shaped violin cases and the smallest I found (that would also hold bows) was the Musafia dart-shaped case - so I bought it. The price was not bad. Combined dimensions: 45-1/2 inch (you could probably squeeze off the last 1/2 inch because it is the soft outer margins of the canvass covering.

Unfortunately, in September of that year events occurred that prevented the trip (in spite of already having the plane tickets), but I still have the case and I use it when space will be cramped.

EDIT: OMG! I just checked on line and the price for that case has more than doubled since I bought it! Sorry - forget about it!

Edited: July 30, 2017, 12:08 PM · The bottom line: we belong to a discriminated group.

I have nothing against parents, but violin consumes no more space that a stroller!
Not to mention people traveling with backpacks so huge and heavy that they can not lift it and put in the overhead bin.
To stay politically correct, I will not even get started with all other needs and demands people are being spoiled on-board.

Now, back to your question: get one of small and inexpensive styrofoam cases to carry your violin on-board. If you need a quality case, either check-in you regular case (filled with clothes) as fragile (and be ready to have it damaged) or borrow one abroad.

July 30, 2017, 12:23 PM · Hello, I'm a long time lurker but recent member. This is my first post because as an adult student I've previously not really had much to contribute to the great advice generally found here. In this case (no pun intended) I have a little.

I do travel a bit, work related, and like to bring my violin to take advantage of uninterrupted motel free time in evenings to practice. I originally had several episodes of problems traveling with my oblong cases and would have to leave my violin at check-in (the real reason I had my wife see me off). Several months ago I got a GL Combi Contour case and so far I've not any real issues with it as a carry on. I think one of the key aspects, as mentioned in a post above, is to not draw attention to yourself, act as though you have every right to board the plane, without asking attendants about it. I just walk through with one carry bag and my GL case on my back like I know what I'm doing and so far no issues. The GL case has excellent pack straps,nose handle and suitcase handle, very robust and protective of the violin. At 32"x11"x6" but very tapered and light, dimensionally not much different than some oblongs,I think the taper gives the appearance of a smaller case and they have yet to have actually measured. The GL Combi Overhead is 26"x11"x6" and half the price of the Bam overhead.

Keep in mind all of my air travel has been domestic so your experience may vary.

Good luck

Edited: July 30, 2017, 12:38 PM · I would make a copy of this regulation and carry it with you to offer you some confidence should you be challenged: www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/Musical%20instruments_FR_final%20rule.pdf.

The law uses the determinate "shall" regarding small musical instruments, of which violins are a part, so the airlines must accommodate your instrument. The carry-on size restriction of airlines appears to be superseded by the simple requirement that the instrument and its case fit in the overhead. So if you're traveling in a commuter plane, the overhead may be too small for your case and the airlines is not compelled to accommodate.

§ 251.3 Small musical instruments as carry-on baggage. "Each covered carrier shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other small musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if: (a) The instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the FAA; and (b) There is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft."

It is advisable that you get on the plane early, since the law is clear that neither passengers nor airlines are compelled to move anything around to make space for the instrument. Which also means that people are allowed to shove other things into the overhead compartment with your instrument.

I would leave it to the attorney/violinist members to interpret the regulation with more authority. However, with this regulation in hand, I would feel completely confident walking onto the plane as though I did this everyday.

July 30, 2017, 2:30 PM · Eric, the TSA letter is USA specific; the OP is traveling internationally.

Rocky, every stroller I've ever seen at an airport has been gate-checked, placed in the baggage compartment, and then picked up by the parent(s) upon arrival.

July 30, 2017, 3:23 PM · @Eric

That case looks good for half the price of the BAM. How's the water resistance on it? Do you think water would go through the zipper? The place I'm going to has frequent heavy rains for weeks.

Edited: August 1, 2017, 8:29 PM · Hello everyone, long time visitor and anonymous blog commenter here. Finally decided to create an account.

The key to flying IMO would be to get the most compact case possible. I use a Gewa Concerto Shaped violin case. It looks small when strapped to my back. It costs $100, and reasonably protects the violin. (Just drop it or run a car over it.) Also, make sure you don't have any other bulky items with you. Stuff everything into your jacket pockets, or bring a small laptop bag/purse.

With regards to the weather, the humidity does not kill as long as you have your violin indoors. The weather-related factors you have to be wary about would be the direct-sunlight heat and the torrential rains. Typhoon season is around July - September. And trust me, when it pours, it POURS. Just keep your violin indoors and away from direct sunlight.

July 30, 2017, 4:51 PM · @JohnC Not sure if you were asking me or @Eric as your last post is addressed to @Eric, but I'll answer anyway since your query also applies to my post.

The case is indeed waterproof but as to the zippers I don't know. I have the Combi Contour but the Combi Overhead is basically of the same build and materials, just without the storage compartments at each end and no bow holders.

I will test the zippers tonight for you by zipping it up and putting it in the shower for a bit, sans my violin of course,and let you know.

I'm going to test the insulation/internal temperature stability against my Negri Venezia and a Bobelock 1051 in a hot car sitting in the sun now that we finally have some unusually hot temps now. I've got some remote thermometers from work and am curious as to the results. I'm very pleased with it so far.

July 30, 2017, 4:57 PM · I agree with Mary Ellen. Do NOT call attention to yourself. Do not ask permission or anything. I usually wear headphones while boarding. Even though the music isn't playing through my headphones, it gives me an "oh I didn't hear you or the announcement" excuse. There isn't really a reason to stop you unless they specifically approach you.
July 30, 2017, 5:30 PM · No need to test. As per the online specifications, zippers are water-resistant (to a point), not water-proof.
July 30, 2017, 6:25 PM · Thank you Rocky, but I've always considered "water resistant" a subjective term ; And since I originally bought this case to use while commuting on my motorcycle ( periodically caught in showers) I'm curious as to just how "water resistant" the zippers are. I do have a waterproof cover for it but sometimes I may be just 5 or 10 minutes from my destination and it may save me from making a stop to put it on.

I'll know in about 30mins.

July 30, 2017, 7:05 PM · Mary Ellen: I believe it applies to all US carriers, flying either domestically or internationally. So the airline matters, not where it flies: "The final rule applies to scheduled and charter flights in domestic or international transportation operated by U.S. carriers, regardless of the size of the aircraft they operate. The rule also applies to persons not directly involved in the operation of an aircraft who sell air transportation services to the general public other than as an authorized agent of a carrier."
July 30, 2017, 8:08 PM · @JohnC I first laid the case flat, in the shower, and ran the shower for 10mins at a moderate pressure and spray pattern, a little heavier than a moderate rain. I wiped off the outside and opened it. In a few places the immediate area within an 1/8" of the zipper was lightly damp, basically between the zipper and the inner border welt. The zipper is a rubber border flap type zipper, similar to the rubber covered zippers on technical backpacks, sealing the whole zipper assembly but with a paper thin gap where the edges meet.

I then placed the case on edge, hinge side down,
turned the shower back on for 10mins. Wiped it down, opened it up and found an area of dampness traveling inboard about an inch, 2 to 3 inches either side of where the zippers meet,which is logical. I also found two or three other small areas of dampness about an inch or so wide,also extending about .5" to 1" inboard. There was one damp area that extended into the wall area of the scroll cutout. No areas were totally wet and no moisture made it to the violin depression.

I noted that some areas of the rubber zipper covering actually had edges that met up tighter than others, which correspondingly were the dry areas. That being said, I imagine some cases might be more water resistant or less so than mine, depending on the uniformity of the zipper rubber edge gaps.

Actually I'm surprised it prevented as much water as it did from entering, but definitely not waterproof.

If expecting a lot of moisture I would get a light waterproof drawstring type bag it would fit in and attach it to the velcro strips on the backside (that were designed to hold a sheetmusic bag) when not in use.

Hope this helps.

July 31, 2017, 5:26 AM · Given the facts that:

1) You're unsure about whether you'll be able to carry your violin onboard.
2) Even if you can carry the violin along, you're worried about safety of the instrument (humidity, being knocked around, etc.), and
3) You're looking at spending at least a couple hundred on a case,

wouldn't it make more sense to simply rent or even buy a cheap VSO instrument when you arrive? Sure, it's not going to sound very good and will probably have plenty of defects, but it sounds like you're only looking for something to practice on for three weeks while you're away. For maintaining technique for that period, it will probably be good enough.

If Amazon can sell Chinese-made VSOs in the US for about $100, how much can they cost in the Philippines? You would hardly need to worry about transport issues, theft, water damage. And when you are ready to return, you can either try to sell it to recoup some of your money, or bring it back to use as a backup for when you need to leave your good instrument at the luthier's. You could bring it back as checked luggage (after insuring it for a decent amount).

Edited: July 31, 2017, 6:22 AM · I agree with the post above. I fly EU - South america rather frequently, and I avoid carrying my instrument alltogheter. For a number of reasons.

So, my 2 cents are: unless you absolutely MUST, do not take your instrument with you.

My experience tells that, besides the hassle of having extra luggage and the possibility of having to abandon youe instrument in the airplane, carrying a violin from a temperate to a tropical weather is usually an (expensive) bad idea.

This being said, as long as you carry the violin like you own the rules, no one will stop you. And if anyone does (only happened once to me), usually telling them that this is the most valuable item in your possession usually does the trick.

July 31, 2017, 9:01 AM · Dress well, walk tall, use a compact shaped case, don't have another carry on at all, and don't ask at check-in. I have never had a problem but I wouldn't board if my violin could not go in the cabin with me. I would re-book with another airline if it came to that.

Cheers Carlo

Edited: July 31, 2017, 9:05 AM · Take a VSO if you are worried, or buy one at your destination is another possibility. Bring or buy good strings to go on it.

Cheers Carlo

July 31, 2017, 9:09 AM · I agree with Carlo, from my own experience. If you ask (or email) the airlines always say no. If you just go to the gate pretending you're from another planet (and a shaped case helps...) I've never had any problems.
July 31, 2017, 9:20 AM · I can only say that whoever says not to "draw attention to yourself" must not have traveled internationally, particularly Asia.

1) How in the world can someone who carries a violin not to draw attention to oneself? It is first an oddly shaped case in comparison to most other luggage seen at the airports around the world.

2) Secondly, it is most noticeably a statement of elegance and class among the general public.

3) I almost have never ever gone through an international check-in for an asian flight in/out of asia or anywhere, without having the agent behind the counter asking me to present my carry-on for pre-approval.

The recent news of famous violinists being rejected at the gate to board flights led me to think that these musicians may have tried to do exactly what most repliers above have suggested -- "not to draw attention to yourself by asking".

I am a strong proponent to be very upfront of the presence of your violin. I always make sure that my violin is ok to travel with me, both by calling the airline before hand (some airlines do require you to call before hand to make sure they have room available, in case they have to make special arrangements due to the limitation of the aircraft) and at the check-in counter.

By trying to hide it (if it can somehow escape the eyes of the ground staff), you only allow yourself to the chance of that last minute fatal surprise at the gate.

That is my sincere advice to whoever is thinking about traveling abroad with a violin. Also, I would avoid US branded flights if possible, because US branded flights have yet to upgrade to the latest and greatest airliners, so the overhead compartment does generally have some concern with fitting a violin. Some overhead compartments aren't even long enough for a violin case.

Edited: August 1, 2017, 8:30 PM · @Y Cheng

The one time I was forced to check-in my violin was when I asked the flight agent for approval.

I agree with you with avoiding US branded flights. With all the news on US and other Western airlines, it seems like Asian flights are much friendlier to its passengers.

July 31, 2017, 10:00 AM · Thanks for the input everyone. I actually did consider buying a cheap violin set and leaving it in the Philippines since my mother still lives there, but I remember my experience upgrading from my rental outfit and it has become much more pleasurable playing the violin. I've tried I think around 13 violins before I picked what I have now. It's odd to say this since I avoid forming any attachment to material objects, but I think I'm somewhat forming a bond with my violin and I just want to take it with me haha. All this hassle and worry about bringing it with me is part of the experience. I'll be bummed if something bad happens, but it won't be the end of the world. I understand the risks, but I suppose this will now be my sort of adventure.

I had a recent epiphany about traveling. I asked my brother if he wants to visit back with me and he said, "Why would I go back there when there are so many other places to see?" He is right. There are many places around the world to see and visit. The thing is I'm not really big on traveling. Perhaps I will travel and see places if I have a partner, but on my own I'm more of the type to spend on gadgets and things to play with. I asked myself, would I rather go to new places or go back home home and take lessons for cheap? Answer is taking lessons. I also play tennis. Martial arts and weapons training are also on my bucket list.
I'm now planning to go back home home at least once or twice a year for periods of 2-3 weeks. Luckily my job allows me to work remotely. Just happen that there's a family situation, so this whole violin situation is quite rushed.

@Skip
Thanks for the test! I suspected that would happen with zippers. I've never really encountered luggage/case/bag zipper that's truly water resistant, so I went ahead with the BAM Overhead case since it doesnt use zipper.

August 4, 2017, 2:38 AM · I flew with a subway strap (full size case) and slung the case over my shoulder, *under* my arm, and a rolling bag. No problems, except on the way back, I slung the case on the side facing the check-in attendant, and also forgot to partially cover this with a jacket on top. They stopped me. Of course, I gave up the bag, not my violin. I also made sure to board first, so there was plenty of overhead room. I find the subway position is less conspicuous than over the back. A smaller shaped case, perhaps with separate bow holder, would be even less conspicuous. Some of the bow cases are super hard plastic, like fishing pole cases, which the airlines see all the time, so I imagine would usually be safe at a gate check in. The cases without bow holders are super small...
August 4, 2017, 2:45 AM · I also travelled to a violin varnish workshop with 3 violins, no bows. One went in the middle of a checked bag with clothes padding all around. The other two were in a double case, no bow space. That one I carried on board with my laptop case. I told check-in I was putting the laptop case under my seat. Not! But it sounded good.:-D Of course these were non-valuable varnish practice violins (some were Chinese!), not set-up. Everything arrived completely undamaged.
Edited: August 4, 2017, 9:16 AM · It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but after a few of these situations (worrying about being able to board with a standard-sized case), I purchased a Bobelock shipping case, which in theory will fit under the seat in front of me and definitely works for an overhead. It's small, doesn't fit a bow (so I have a bow case as well that can detach and slide into just about any crevice in a crowded overhead compartment), and really only works for this one use case. But it's great. Solid. Comes with a backpack.

ETA here's a link: http://www.audubonstrings.com/Bobelock-Violin-Shipping-Case-With-Suspension

August 5, 2017, 2:59 PM · Yay! The case went through fine with EVA airlines (it better have considering that's the whole point of getting this particular case lol!). Just to be safe, I asked during check-in if my violin case + bow tube is fine because the tube is several inches longer than the case.

The online store I bought it from didnt have the BAM bow tube in stock and instead made a custom PVC pipe bow tube for 1/3 the price. It was longer than I expected, so I cut a few inches and left a small space for padding so it doesn't hit the ends of the bow. So far so good.

Edited: August 6, 2017, 2:37 AM · John,

You could have told me you were traveling on EVA airways. I take that airline all the time! Yes, they have absolutely no issues with musical instruments, because the founder himself was a music lover. But if I remember correctly, they are also one of those airlines which pre-approves carry-ons with a hand-carry sticker. Not sure if they do that in the last couple of months though.

Just an anectode, the founder of the Evergreen corporation also started the very first private music scholarship available in Taiwan, and he also founded the first private symphony orchestra there.

When he was still living, he requested the administrative staff of his orchestra to sit right outside of his office so he could care for the running of the orchestra personally.

Thats how much he valued classical music.

Anyway, I am glad you went through fine. Enjoy your trip.

August 6, 2017, 2:48 AM · Good to hear a happy ending!
August 6, 2017, 5:05 PM · Y Cheng,

I was going to fly China Eastern initially, but the prices went up so I booked EVA last minute since it was the next cheapest. I haven't flown from US to Asia in 3 years and I'm impressed with EVA. Food was great and decent legroom. I also love the food in Taipei airport. Beef noodle soup :D

Good to hear that the founder is supportive of music! I'll put EVA as my "safe" airline. I'll try other cheaper airlines next time to see if they do better as as good as EVA. Any airlines that's a no no for you?

August 6, 2017, 5:05 PM · Y Cheng,

I was going to fly China Eastern initially, but the prices went up so I booked EVA last minute since it was the next cheapest. I haven't flown from US to Asia in 3 years and I'm impressed with EVA. Food was great and decent legroom. I also love the food in Taipei airport. Beef noodle soup :D

Good to hear that the founder is supportive of music! I'll put EVA as my "safe" airline. I'll try other cheaper airlines next time to see if they do better as as good as EVA. Any airlines that's a no no for you?

August 7, 2017, 9:21 AM · John C:

yes, EVA air is definitely on the "instrument safe" list. As long as there is the existence of the Evergreen Symphony Orchestra, I cannot imagine this airline will ever ban musical instruments as carry-ons. First, as you board, you probably saw the orchestra performance playing on the screen, and that speaks for itself already. Also, this orchestra is a business relationship builder for the company itself: It travels to China for philanthropic concerts all the time.

And yes, it is a 5-star airliner with one of the friendliest crew teams. In fact, I do have friends who are crew members and pilots, and I know how they are trained. And honestly, over the last 30 years traveling all over the world on numerous 3-5 star airlines, EVA airways is still my favourite. They constantly upgrade the design and comfortness, and the crew members are just very professional and kind.

But in regards to traveling with a violin, I would probably never take a budget airline such as Scoot or Tiger air, simply because you would have to pay to take any carry-ons, and I would imagine something longer than the 21-inch carry-on would actually be an issue with a budget airline.

August 12, 2017, 5:29 AM · Thanks for the feedback!
August 16, 2017, 6:18 AM · Has anyone had recent success or failure on Virgin Atlantic for their trans-Atlantic flights? In spite of their being born from a music recording business, their current policy reads

If you’re planning on bringing a musical instrument with you, bear in mind it may not fit within your hand baggage allowance.

If it exceeds the hand baggage allowance measurements, you’ll need to check it in (and pay an additional baggage fee, if it takes you over your check in allowance).

However, rather than checking it in on the spot we’ll still ask you to carry it through to the airport security checkpoint (subject to relevant Airport Security approval). As instruments are especially fragile, this ensures safer carriage. It will be taken at the departure gate for loading into the hold of the aircraft, so please make sure it’s suitably protected when you pack it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance