Spray for chin rest metal allergy

July 29, 2017, 9:26 AM · Hi!

I've been playing violin for 11 years and have realized I've been allergic to the metal parts of the chin rest. I tried using a leather cover over the metal parts and it worked but I don't like the feeling of the leather on my neck.
Is there any spray/paint I can put on the metal parts to prevent my neck from being in direct contact with the metal?

Thanks

Replies (17)

July 29, 2017, 10:55 AM · You could try looking for something you can stick onto the metal parts of the chinrest. Also, you could wear clothing that covers the neck (this is, unfortunately, only plausible in winter), or place a towel between your neck and chinqest.
Edited: July 29, 2017, 12:31 PM · I'm not allergic to the metal, as far as I know; but I don't want the metal contacting the skin and wouldn't want the feel of leather, either. I use the Strad Pad, which attaches to the CR with a Velcro strip and completely covers the metal brackets. The main advantage I get from this is the additional secure grip between skin and CR cover -- no skin irritation. The pad is easily washable.
July 29, 2017, 12:31 PM · Shar has chin rest covers and chin rests with stainless steel brackets. I am guessing you are alergic to nickel. Your brackets are probably nickel plated.
July 29, 2017, 2:50 PM · Many people are sensitive to nickel, and even 14K gold can have enough nickel to irritate one's skin. Recently someone told me she 'paints' her jewelry with clear nail polish every few months to protect her skin from the trace nickel in the metal. Perhaps you could 'paint' the metal bracket with clear nail polish.
July 29, 2017, 3:04 PM · Replace the clamps with titanium version. Almost no one is allergic to titanium.
July 29, 2017, 3:55 PM · Titanium is the first thing you want to do.
If you still feel uncomfortable (most likely not for alergic anmyore) there are plenty of things to put between. I use a small cotton cloth, although this is to protect my instrument, not me.
July 30, 2017, 1:14 PM · I second the nail varnish. But it will ruin the violin varnish, so traed carefully.
July 30, 2017, 1:50 PM · Have you tried the Wittner hypoallergenic chin rests? Nice design and I don't think there are any exposed metal parts.
July 30, 2017, 6:17 PM · Ditto on the titanium. I developed a rash on my neck from the nickel. Purchased the titanium clamps and the rash went away. You can buy them online and very easy to install.
July 30, 2017, 6:46 PM · Tempel (Germany) makes excellent titanium fittings; they are what I use on my violin, both for metal sensitivity and light weight!
July 30, 2017, 7:52 PM · Many people, including me, get irritated by the metal parts. Too bad the OP is not comfortable with leather - was that suede leather? That's what I use and it's worked beautifully for me for many years. Anyway, try a variety of cloths. I was also going to recommend the Witner chinrest - but if you don't like the design then you're limited by and to it.

Also, not to get into THAT subject again but just to make a certain point: as a restless player, the suede provides a slip-resistant surface that is great for down-shifting etc., plus I have the slightest bit of foam sewn in the middle section which goes over my collar bone. Foam itself - thin foam - has similar properties, as well as thin rubber (or rubber-like) shelving material, which is very cheap and easily cut and shaped.

July 30, 2017, 11:27 PM · Tempel is nice, as some other premium fitters, but not exactly inexpensive.
I use Titanium too, made by ErgoVio.
July 31, 2017, 7:10 AM · Stradpet produces excellent titanium chinrest brackets ranging from $9 to $14.50 (plus a few dollars for shipping) in various models - including the "regular" U-shaped brackets and Hill style brackets. You can purchase them on AliExpress. The quality is comparable to the much more expensive offerings.

https://stradpet.aliexpress.com/store/group/for-Violin/1703074_260897364.html

July 31, 2017, 8:07 AM · Fantastic ... are these titanium jobs *well made*? I can see that there might be benefit to me to have these even though I'm not allergic to nickel, if they indeed have better-quality machining of the screws and other hardware.
July 31, 2017, 9:48 AM · I have an allergy to nickel and my doctor suggested putting moleskin or something you would put over a blister on the metal part
July 31, 2017, 6:37 PM · Isn't there supposed to be a space between your neck and those metal pieces of the chin rest? I remember learning that they aren't meant to rub your neck (my first teacher told me it's only okay to get a red mark on the collarbone - from the violin resting there, and underneath your chin - from the top of the chin rest.)
The metal bars of the chin rest, and the button of the violin, should have no contact with your skin.
Correct me if I am mistaken, please.
July 31, 2017, 11:00 PM · Thanks you for the replies!

I will definetly look into buying titanium parts for my chinrest!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music