Looking for a violin teacher in Montreal

July 28, 2017, 6:27 PM · Hi all, it has been a long time since I posted. Ive had to stop taking violin classes, as an adult near-beginner, 3 years ago due to certain circumstances and moving here to Montreal. Anyway, Im ready to go back to what I love doing and Im in search now for a teacher in Montreal who accepts adult students (either in french or english).

I would live someone who would be able to incorporate the likes of Drew Lecher and Simon Fischer into her or his lessons (both introduced by the very wise and very appreciated Buri who used to be posting here when I was around). However, a good teacher is a good teacher no matter what and I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks

Replies (11)

July 29, 2017, 6:13 AM · Welcome back Tammuz!
July 29, 2017, 9:44 AM · Hi Paul. Thank you :)
Edited: July 29, 2017, 10:58 AM · @Tammuz Kolenyo ~ Knowing of Drew Lecher, who teaches in the Greater Chicagoland area of Naperville and Morton Grove, & thinking well of him, although from a different violinistic background, (my father's Franco Belgium approach to violin playing - music making from Juilliard's Eduoard Dethier), Jascha Heifetz, and Nathan Milstein, both of whom need no identification, violinistically), perhaps a superb CSO (Chicago Symphony Orchestra) colleague of mine, Jacques Israelievitch, who surely shared his sterling violinistic background with his string teaching pupils during his long tenure as the very recently late Concertmaster of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra could be a starting point ~

I knew Jacques Israelievitch well when & after we were the finalists for Associate Concertmaster of Sir Georg Solti's Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Sadly, Jacques passed away just under 2 years ago in Toronto, but again, perhaps one of his fine pupils could be contacted for your specific needs of coming back to violin study who resides in Montreal? Jacques Israelievitch studied with the late Concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra, Josef Gingold, of Indiana University and is sure to have passed on much of Gingold's approach to playing violin and making music with a very solid approach to basic violin technique (scales, Etudes of Wolfhart, Kreutzer, Schradieck, etc.,) to his pupils in Toronto during his over 20 year tenure as Concertmaster of the TSO ... I hope this idea might help you in your search to happily take up your adult amateur violin studies once again. Surely violinists in Toronto may know of a fine and caring violinist /violin teacher in Montreal. If still looking, you can reach back to me by emailing my studio: elisabethmatesky@gmail.com and I think you should call the Montreal Local Federation of Musicians Union and the Toronto Local Federation of Musicians. Also, if they have a Local Federation of Musicians office in Ottawa, try calling the Ottawa Local Federation of Musicians for referrals of Violinist members who are known teachers, but have interest in helping loving adult violin amateur's who are returning back to the violin no matter what current 'level' they are presently at. "Things" happen in life which none of us can forsee, and in my own experience, some of the greatest performers/teachers are the most compassionate who wish to help pupils who truly love Music and the Violin!

Wishing you the best in your search ~

Elisabeth Matesky / Chicago

July 29, 2017, 4:01 PM · Thank you Mme Matesky for the response and for the suggestions. I also do hope that if not quebec based violinists here then perhaps ontario based ones might have suggestions. I will also email if i continue to be on the lookout. Many thanks, Madame, for your kind words and your help.
July 31, 2017, 12:48 AM · Location may not be ideal for you but Aquadulci Music Academy is worth checking.
July 31, 2017, 8:09 AM · Hi Pavel;

Thanks for the info but its not just about not being ideal.

Its about 400 miles away with Toronto being closer. Im not sure how this could be a feasible option. Thanks anyway.

I know there are violin teachers around in Montreal and Im checking to see what are the good people's particular recommendations here on v.com. :)

Edited: July 31, 2017, 9:35 AM · Someone who fairly recently moved to Montreal is Edward Klorman, who was the subject of this story about chamber music. He is now teaching theory at McGill; here is his page that has his e-mail address. I bet he would be connected to a lot high-quality violin teachers in the area and could be a good starting point for you!
Edited: July 31, 2017, 3:11 PM · Thank you so much Laurie. It indeed sounds like an excellent starting point. Would you mind that i mention that it was through your response to my search here on v.com that I got hold of his contact info? Many thanks.
Edited: July 31, 2017, 3:14 PM · Sure, you are welcome to do so!
Edited: August 3, 2017, 10:30 AM · @ Tammuz Kolenyo ~

Hoping you have come across some acknowledged violinists/teacher's in the Montreal area, please do contact the Montreal Federation of Musicians & use my name, mentioning I'm a Chicago Federation of Musicians, Local 10-208 member as former member of Sir Georg Solti's Chicago Symphony Orchestra and, hopefully, you'll be granted access to the string membership of Montreal Symphony violinists ... This is most probably the best 'other' start point along with Laurie's idea to contact Edward Klorman, Theory teacher @ McGill University ~ (You can also mention my name to Theory teacher, E. Klorman ~ )

With warm good wishes, Tammuz, & Thanks for your kind note, I remain ~

Musically yours from Chicago ...

Elisabeth Matesky *

*Pupil of Jascha Heifetz (UTube JH Master Class - Khachaturian, JH-7) & 3+ year London private protege of & p.t. assist teacher for Nathan Milstein's Summer Zurich Violin Master Classes

August 5, 2017, 6:13 PM · Thank you very much for the kind help and support. I really appreciate it.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow