consignment question

July 27, 2017, 11:59 AM · I have had a violin on consignment for almost two years now and was thinking of bringing it home. It's not an expensive one ($2500). Will I have to pay any kind of fee? I've never sold one before so I don't know what to expect.

Thank for your replies.

Replies (9)

July 27, 2017, 12:03 PM · No fee. They haven't sold your instrument. At that low price the seller may not have shown it to anyone. Sellers would rather sell their own Chinese factory violin, with their 1000% mark up, then sell yours.

Cheers Carlo

August 12, 2017, 4:57 PM · No, you should not need to pay any fees (unless there were any repairs done to it during the two years).
August 12, 2017, 5:49 PM · I think it depends on the agreement you made with the shop. Whatever the paperwork says should be the answer to your question. At the shop where I have consigned violins there's an agreement to leave the instrument on sale for at least 60 days.
August 13, 2017, 5:48 AM · Violins are not the easiest item to sell. Perhaps you could try selling it in a different shop or you could try placing an ad on Craigslist for a couple of months. I have had good luck selling some instruments on Craigslist. Some instruments are desirable with the right asking price makes for an easy sale and other instruments seem unwanted with no interested buyers.
August 13, 2017, 3:02 PM · I would think such a low-priced instrument would be very difficult to sell on consignment. Knock 20% off the price (usual consignment fees run around 30% anyway so you'd still come out ahead) and see if you can get any takers on Craigslist.
August 13, 2017, 4:01 PM · Thank you for your replies. The agreement didn't say anything about a fee so I guess I'm alright. I took the drive up to Chicago to sell it because I had it on Craigslist for a year with not one inquiry. The area I live in is a musical desert as far as string instruments are concerned. The local schools don't even offer orchestra.
August 13, 2017, 5:41 PM · WHen I had instruments/bows on consignment I had a written agreement that stated the terms. I pulled them both after the stated period and kept them. There was no penalty stated in the contact and I paid none. This should be standard practice.
August 13, 2017, 7:59 PM · If there's no orchestra in the local public schools, then I'm not at all surprised you weren't able to sell it. You could try selling it somewhere else through Craigslist--maybe a larger metropolitan area where you have a trusted relative or friend who is willing to help you--or you could donate it to a university or youth orchestra program and take the tax deduction.
Edited: August 13, 2017, 8:41 PM · In my experience Craigslist is worthless for higher priced violins, in the $100 range, that's where they might sell. Ebay might work, but you'd have to knock about 50% off the price to have much chance of selling quickly IMHO

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music