Goldbrokat string wrapping

Edited: July 25, 2017, 1:19 AM · Greetings,
Trying out the well regarded Goldbrokat E string for the first time, I notice that the silk(?) wrapping is applied to much shorter part on the peg end of the string compared to all other strings I've seen. It's such that during installation you run out of the wrapping part and the last two turns of the peg involve bare metal string instead of the wrapped string. Is this normal? Overall string length seems fine. Thank you for your help.

Replies (4)

July 25, 2017, 12:54 PM · Yes, it's fine.
July 25, 2017, 3:36 PM · Now that you mention it, I have noticed this quirk with the Goldbrokat E, too. I've used the medium E on all three fiddles since 2011. The ones I'd used before then were Westminster heavy and Gold Label -- I don't remember how long their wrappings were.

The short wrapping is a bit annoying when I'm installing a new E and getting it wound on the peg -- I'd prefer a longer wrapping, as on A-D-G; but this is the only drawback I can find. The string has served me, and my instruments, very well -- I give it high marks. So far, no breakages.

July 25, 2017, 6:17 PM · The only thing that concerns me about the Goldbrokat E is the possibility that over time the bare metal of the string could damage the peg. Is not the functional purpose of the winding on metal and metal-wound strings to protect the peg and to provide sufficient friction to prevent the string from slipping?
July 28, 2017, 6:28 AM · I would say it's fine just because I also have used a Goldbrokat and it didn't damage my violin in any way! As long as you don't excessively tune up and down (which, for an e string, you wouldn't be doing anyway), I think you're fine. :)

Hope this helps!

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins