One String Exercises

July 20, 2017, 5:27 AM · Hello everyone, i decided to make this one string violin for my violin training. Does anyone have experience with exercises on one single violin string? I am convinced, that playing on one string is the most effective possibility to train the ears by solely orientating with the flageolets (and the violin neck). The sense of hearing and knowing the notes is essential, especially for the beginning at learning to play the violin. The trick on one string is, that its unavoidable not to play by ear. What do you think as teacher, violinist or violin starter. You can try this now with every violin, but you must accept the challenge.

Replies (9)

July 20, 2017, 10:42 AM · That looks like a fun diversion but one-string exercises have been practiced on traditional four-string violins forever.

A better commercial direction might be to market this as a toy for two-year-old children of overachieving parents, of which there is an inexhaustible supply. If it makes only a soft sound and if batteries are not required, so much the better.

Edited: July 20, 2017, 2:08 PM · But why do you need a special instrument to play on one string? I'm not sure how much of the experience of playing in a one-string instrument can be extrapolated to a violin. I'd say a one-string instrument gives the user plenty of room to move the bow around, while this should be avoided while doing a one-string exercise on a violin. And there are tons of one string exercises for violin. I remember doing many of them in Sevcik books.

I still think it can make a very nice instrument by itself. Although very different in its construction, it is somehow reminiscent of an N'Jarka, a traditional african instrument from Mali.

Edited: July 20, 2017, 2:39 PM · The other thing is that you don't have any of the other strings vibrating, the ring notes. A very useful indicator of intonation.
July 20, 2017, 3:12 PM · Think of the money you would save changing strings.
July 20, 2017, 7:45 PM · Some of my daily technical practice involves scales and arpeggios on one string with various fingerings. But what is the point of having a separate one string instrument which - sorry - doesn't even sound good, to boot? Just choose one string and do various things on it. (I have a rotating "string du jour" as well as a "key du jour")
Edited: July 21, 2017, 3:13 AM · Thanks for all your comments!
Yes it is fun and it might be as well for 2 year-old-children but i made it actually as a kick-starter for me learning to play violin by my own as efficient as possible. Therefor i had to be able to practice the violin basis wherever i am, meaning to have a silent and compact violin for traveling (without battery, demountable in the middle and quick to assemble). I even use a 16th kids bow en route.
The profound violin basis is recognizing and playing the right notes, therefor i do not need a quality violin sound. I even do not need four strings, they just irritate because they are actually played the same thanks to our chromatic notation. And as violin starter you could get tangled down there and forget to hear your tones. One single string forces you to listen and react immediately by controlling your tones with the harmonics and the open string.
I transferred every important measurement from the violin to use it in addition to my violin training and i even use my old strings till they dissolve.
I have one question to all teachers about violin education; How or when does (should) a student get his sense of hearing, in the violin lesson. Is it the teacher who constantly tells you up or down or is it the explanation by the teacher, why up and why down?
August 19, 2017, 12:38 AM · Sevcik Op. 8. Rock them tunes. Real good.
August 19, 2017, 4:01 AM · Scales and arpeggios on one string in different patterns.

But this instrument is damaging the angles of bow and left hand placing.

Get a practice fiddle that doesn't make sound .

Work on sliding.
Work on artificial al harmonics in all forms thirds fourths fifths

August 19, 2017, 4:29 AM · Practice on a regular four string violin, this doesn't make any sense, and if you want to keep the neighbours happy just get a rubber hotel mute.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance