E Strings

July 19, 2017, 9:53 PM · Hello! I currently am set up with Evah Pirazzi silvery steel ADG strings, but have yet to find an E that I am in love with. I have tried Goldbrokat (WAYYYY too whistly) as well as Westminster, but neither blew me away. Does anyone have a E string that projects (bright is fine), but has a long shelf life?

Thanks,
Matt

Replies (15)

Edited: July 19, 2017, 10:32 PM · What are the traits of your violin? Different strings sound different on different violins due to differences in violin characteristics. Search the site for E-string threads. I can guarantee that you will find a million of them. Furthermore, string discussions are extremely controversial for several reasons:
1. Every violin has different traits and therefore, we must decide what strings will fine-tune the sound of that particular violin best.
2. Everyone has different tastes for sound.
3. Everyone perceives sound differently.
4. Everyone has different bowing styles, resulting in each player having a unique sound associated with them.
5. Differences in physiques may play a small role in string preferences.
I wouldn't worry about shelf life. Strings will always be new if they've never been used (except gut, perhaps).
Edited: July 19, 2017, 11:34 PM · If Goldbrokat is that whistly you may want to have a look at the setup. It sound like the violin has a bit of a problem there, this string is not difficult to bow.
I disagree on the shelf life part. The is a lot of oxidation going on on some e strings.

Did you try PI already? Those are quite projective, you may want to first try the cheaper uncoated one though.

July 20, 2017, 12:40 AM · I have put a tiny piece of fine leather (from an old glove) in the E groove of the nut. The open E then behaves a little more like a fingered note.
July 20, 2017, 1:05 AM · I currently use Pirastros new platinum E. I like it a lot and it affected the other strings positively.
If whistling is a problem try Warchal Amber E. It is a nice string too.
July 20, 2017, 5:17 AM · What about the E that comes in the Evah set? It is bright, powerful, and modulates nicely.

If that fails you, try Jarger E (Forte gauge)

July 20, 2017, 8:03 AM · Let me clarify: by "shelf life" I actually meant life span. I my hands perspire quite a bit, so I usually go through strings quicker than the the average violinist.
July 21, 2017, 9:32 AM · Platinum E should increase your shelf life...the new Evah one is pretty good. Personally, I'm fine with a Goldbrokat, but you gotta change 'em often...;)
Edited: July 25, 2017, 1:12 PM · Really impressed with the Warchal Amber E. It has a funny coil that stretches out over the area between bridge and fingerboard. It basically gives you the power and responsiveness of a steel wire E but mellows the sound. And there's a really nice side benefit -- it's the only non-whistling wire E that I'm aware of.

Not as powerful as a Westminster E but the non-whistling qualities make it worth the tradeoff for me.

As for durability, these go 6 months for me and I play a lot.

August 1, 2017, 12:29 AM · I was about to suggest Gold plated Olivs until I read "long shelf life." It sounded pretty loud on my previous violin, though I have yet to try it on my new one. I currently have Evahs+Westminster and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Edited: August 1, 2017, 10:40 AM · Oliv Es last long-maybe not as much with heavy perspiration. They have been for years a favorite of mine, but...

I had always used Oliv Stark, not Mittel. Since as of last year I have had success using medium Gold Labels, Hills, etc., I wanted to try a new Oliv E mittel, to go along a recently purchased "set" of Rigid Oliv G&D and Oliv A string. Initially I kept the Titanium Solo E, because it was powerful, bright, relative low tension, and still sounded great after months. I put on the nice, fresh Oliv E mittel and it took a bit if power from my violin, even though it was perfect with the A. This at the SAME tension as the Titanium Solo E. I was going to "ride it along", but quickly decided that I needed to go back to my "worn" old E, and am now tempted to keep using the Solo Es for thw time being.

I still recommended the STARK Oliv E as a powerful E that generally "helps" the whole instrument. While I love the Westminster 27.5, I admit the Oliv Stark works better for me and rarely whistles.

The Titanum Solo E, at $20.00 bucks or so (its "weakness") is a powerful, bright, and nice sounding string that may "open up" your other strings to sound brighter and maybe more powerful. I thought it was a gimmick for years, but it's a really good E.

(Another potential weakness is that it's relatively thin for some players and/or setups.)

August 1, 2017, 9:59 AM · Are you sure they are same in tension. It might well be that Pirastro and Thomastik use different mensurs to measure against. Pirastro at least does everything possible to measure low tensions, I dont know about Thomastik for sure.
August 1, 2017, 12:14 PM · 8 kp for both Oliv E mittel and Titanium Solo E. Was expecting the Oliv to have nore brilliance and sizzle as a new string. It was clear, brilliant, and beautiful, but not as powerful and lacked the old string's brightness. The Oliv was plenty loud, mind you, but it wasn't AS loud as the other string, and changed the whole character of the instrument (it was a balanced tone among the strings, including the E, but less "aggressive".) And it sounded good, too. Was just expecting the new, beloved gold-plated E to totally outshine the old TS E, but it just didn't work out that way this time.

I do find the Titanium AND the Infeld Pi Platinum HORRIBLY overpriced (the latter especially compared to Pirastro's "new" version), but at least I can vouch for the resonance, brightness, power, and clarity of the "gimmicky" Titanium Solo E throughout the register.

August 1, 2017, 12:19 PM · If those 8kp are from the manufacturer it is unlikely to be exactly the same.
I did like the ti solo e too, but it played down quite quivmckly for me.
August 1, 2017, 12:34 PM · Yes, doubt it's the same scale being used by both brands, but lacking ways to measure them myself, it's the best I can do.

Wonder if the new EP Platinum E "weich" is really that much better than an Oliv E mittel. Isn't the Pi Plat E like 8.3 kp? Pirastro weich is 7.9 for weich and 8.6 for "mittel". I may have forgotten the kp numbers.

The Titanium Solo E is still doing well, but I may get another soon, because it's not young anymore.

August 1, 2017, 12:49 PM · The Larsen Tzigane Gold E is a good string.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow