Peter Infeld vs Evah Pirazzi Gold

July 18, 2017, 2:09 PM · Which string is better (in your opinion)? Which is brighter? Which is louder? Which lasts longer?

If you have a favorite, what set do you use (in particular, which e string do you use)?

Finally, how does the PI platinum e sound compared to the Evah Pirazzi Gold (steel) e?

Many thanks!

Replies (10)

July 18, 2017, 2:25 PM · Evah Pirazzi Gold are, in my opinion, the best strings money can buy. You will need to change them every three weeks to keep their sound. So don't bother...
I use the PI set, with the platinum E, which are great strings. These I change every three months.

Cheers Carlo

July 18, 2017, 2:50 PM · Thanks Carlo! So you say that Evah Pirazzzi sounds better but they don't last as long as the PIs?

Does the PI platinum E whistle?

Finally, which is brighter? Why do you like the Evah Pirazzi Golds better?

Thanks and sorry.

July 18, 2017, 4:17 PM · The PIs and EPGs are perhaps most easily described as having a "Thomastik" sound and feel, versus a "Pirastro" sound and feel. If you prefer Dominants (or Visions), for instance, you are likely to like PIs.

EPGs wear very quickly. They don't break, but they do lose their brilliance within a couple of weeks -- figure you'll change them every 100 hours of playing or so.

The PI platinum E is its own animal. I would consider mixing it with an EPG set, for instance.

Edited: July 18, 2017, 5:09 PM · You will have to try them both to see the results in your violin. In mine, the PI are a little less bright than the EPG, and the sound they produce is a little thinner as well. But the platinum E is better than any of the Pirastro's including their new platinum E version.
Edited: July 18, 2017, 5:39 PM · I've had the same PI Pt Es on since they were first available - these 4 E strings have partnered with sets of PI, Vision Solos and EPGs on 4 violins. I don't play violin much these days - and that is one way to keep the violin strings in good shape. They still sound fantastic after a year or more with the EPGs - that whole setup gives me shivers when I do play.
Edited: July 18, 2017, 10:05 PM · I like PI pt better but there is also another string, Prim Lisa, which I find quite similar to PI platinum, but cost a lot less with good longevity. But PI PT does last forever.
July 18, 2017, 11:27 PM · I agree with Carlo. I do love the EPG, but they are way to expensive to be changed that often imho. Even as an amateur I need a set per month. After this month they become very dull and unresponsive, pretty much like the classical EP does. The PI last significantly longer and they go off continously. The EPG can be played with more bow weigt from my experience, thats another thing I like about the EPG.
At my violin the PI are a little bit thinner, maybe some call it shinier. The coated e string is not whisling for me, altough that is in general not a problem for me, only on very bad climate days. The e string is really nice, but as I wear e strings of quite quickly I usually keep the non platinum on my violin. From time to time I order a set of PI, than I take it with the platinum.
Edited: July 19, 2017, 8:16 AM · I liked more the evahs, I find them to be louder and brighter than PI. I don't use them because they're particularly expensive and go false quickly. PI will last ages compared to evahs.
Edited: July 19, 2017, 8:29 AM · Agreed on the durability; PI>EP.

On the violin that saw the most use of PI, the quality of the overtones was fantastic, although the tendency was for the sound to lose its "woody" core. That might have been fixed by loosening the soundpost, but I've been fooling with alternative strings instead in the mean time. Dominants proved to be somewhat better than PI for balance, if not overall quality, and the EPG (silver) G-string did a lot to strengthen the bottom end and chest register.

More recently, I've been trying a Eudoxa Stiff G, Dominant (or Eudoxa Stiff) D, and Passione heavy A, which all combines to work better than the above. But we also have 60% humidity, which changes everything as well.

One thing I did not do is try all-EPG strings on this fiddle. That might be the next generation.

Edited: July 20, 2017, 10:03 PM · Those string discussions tend to be very controversial because everyone's violin has unique traits, and players choose to change these traits in different ways. Furthermore, every human has different tastes for sound, different perceptions of sound and different playing styles. As a result, you would, as someone mentioned above, need to try both and see what fits. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that PI lasts longer than EPG. Unfortunately, I have never tried any of those strings, and so cannot give any personal input.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow