Seeking New Violin Player Advice

July 17, 2017, 9:12 AM · Hello,

I am looking to buy my brother a violin. He is a naturally talented musician, but he has never played a violin and I am not sure where to start when looking for one.

I know he needs a 4/4 since he is 6 foot, but that is about all I know.

I would be grateful for any advice on good quality brands and specs to look for.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (9)

July 17, 2017, 9:24 AM · Cremona is a popular choice for beginner instruments at about $150.
July 17, 2017, 9:26 AM · Thanks!
How is the quality of craftsmanship?

July 17, 2017, 9:30 AM · You will eventually need to upgrade, but it's adequate for beginners. As you develop a sense of preference for sound, you can visit violin shops and look for better instruments for around $2,000-$4,000.
July 17, 2017, 10:26 AM · Go to a local violin shop and rent something. You'll get better quality than buying something for the same amount as your rental costs for a year, and if he gets serious about learning the violin he can get credit for the rental fees paid towards buying an instrument from the same shop (most shops do this).
July 17, 2017, 10:33 AM · That is a great idea! Thank you.
July 17, 2017, 2:54 PM · Another vote for renting, and from whatever shop is most recommended in your area.

Does your brother take violin lessons? Or is he hoping to? If so, it's best to get teacher input before picking out an instrument. Drives me crazy when students show up with an inferior instrument that they bought on their own (and usually from an unrecommended shop) without any kind of expert advice. In my city there are two reputable violin shops--a rental from either is likely to be of decent quality--and several (primarily band instrument) shops that carry awful violins on the side.

Edited: July 17, 2017, 3:44 PM · Hi Mary Ellen. Thank you for the advice. My brother played the double bass for 8 years and is looking to switch to a smaller more portable string instrument.

Do you still think he should rent before buying?

July 17, 2017, 3:56 PM · Yes, I do, for several reasons. Everything Jason said about the advantages of renting is absolutely true. Plus that gives your brother time to determine whether he is really serious about learning the violin before making any sort of major financial commitment--there is not very much crossover between double bass and violin.

It's very rare to find anything that is remotely enjoyable to play for much under $1000 purchase price.

July 17, 2017, 4:12 PM · Thank you so much for all of the information. This is very helpful.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music